Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Options

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    They may leave some rows empty too, if the flight is not full, to balance the plane out.
    How could they do this if all seats are available to choose from? When I checked in, no rows appeared to be artificially taken except for row 1.

In any case, why does Ryanair uniquely do this? I've never seen any other airline deliberately leaving rows empty to "balance the plane". Therefore I think it's a myth that Ryanair have concocted to justify some other reason for this odd practice.
  • catwoman73
    catwoman73 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    How could they do this if all seats are available to choose from? When I checked in, no rows appeared to be artificially taken except for row 1.

In any case, why does Ryanair uniquely do this? I've never seen any other airline deliberately leaving rows empty to "balance the plane". Therefore I think it's a myth that Ryanair have concocted to justify some other reason for this odd practice.

I have. I've also seen passengers being asked to move on flights that were only 1/3 or half full. It won't matter if the flight is full or nearly full, but taking an extreme example of a flight that is only half full, they won't fly with everyone sat at the front, the back, or all on one side, would they?
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2014 at 12:56PM
    Options
    Been on flights too, where we got asked to move seats for take off and landing. The aircraft has to be balanced in order to take off. Some aircraft which have odd seating arrangements, like 2 seats one side, one on the other, have thrust exchangers, so the aircraft automatically alters the engines to create more thrust on one engine and less in the other.

You are aware that all the luggage has to be placed in the hold in a certain way, aren't you? It is not just lobbing it all in willy nilly. The cockpit systems can show if the plane is not balanced too.

It is quite common.

They will also block off certain seats with tape etc, if they have to balance the plane out, seen this done too. The system will know how many are booked on the flight, work out where they need to sit and allocate accordingly. It has been done for years, even when you had to check in manually at the desk.
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    Now confused on this and wonder if anyone can help. Have checked in online for trip to majorca next week with random allocated seat for me and my other half. Went to allocated seating for return trip and it's coming up as £10.00 each minimum. The website fees state £5.00 each for regular seat. Am I missing something here?.
  • SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    Now confused on this and wonder if anyone can help. Have checked in online for trip to majorca next week with random allocated seat for me and my other half. Went to allocated seating for return trip and it's coming up as £10.00 each minimum. The website fees state £5.00 each for regular seat. Am I missing something here?.

It depends on the route. It's £5 minimum on some routes and £10 minimum on longer routes, such as to the Canaries.
  • CCFC_80
    Options
    It depends on the route. It's £5 minimum on some routes and £10 minimum on longer routes, such as to the Canaries.

OUCH !!!!!!!. Okay thanks, thought it was just a fiver for all routes.
    Wasn't expecting that. Not very clear on their T & C when explaining there so called optional extras. Wouldn't class Majorca as a long route though
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    CCFC_80 wrote: »

Are you going after 27 April?

If so, the price changes,as they say prior to this date, it is classed as low season. Don't know why a date makes the seat cost anymore though. It seems a number of their charges change by the season.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-tableoffees/ Look at the single * lower down.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are aware that all the luggage has to be placed in the hold in a certain way, aren't you? It is not just lobbing it all in willy nilly. The cockpit systems can show if the plane is not balanced too.

It is quite common.

Further to this, the aircraft that Ryanair use have two separate cargo holds - a smaller one forward and a larger one aft. Using only one reduces load and unload times, so they often do this and enforce seating restrictions to balance the overall load.
  • CCFC_80
    Options
    Are you going after 27 April?

If so, the price changes,as they say prior to this date, it is classed as low season. Don't know why a date makes the seat cost anymore though. It seems a number of their charges change by the season.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-tableoffees/ Look at the single * lower down.

Yes, after that date which probably explains, Sticks out like a sore thumb doesn't it:D
  • CCFC_80
    Options
    Now won't be paying O'leary's £20.00 fee for allocated seating on return trip. Have done some research and found an internet cafe with printing facilities about a 2 minute walk from our hotel. Didn't really want the hassle on holiday of doing this but now seems a better option then putting the £20.00 back into O'leary's coffers.

Always a big fan of Ryanair and won't say that I will never use them again in the future but will be giving them a bit of a wide birth now due to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure