MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Grant and Tiffany charge for their wedding?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• One_ting
    Options
    I would totally object to being charged to attend the wedding.

When my wife and I married (having previously lived together) we could not afford a large wedding.

We arranged a party to celebrate out engagement, out house-warming and my birthday. On inviting people to this we asked that no gifts be bought but that collection boxes would be available for a charity of our choice. The party (including hire of hall, food and cake) cost £300 for approx 80 guests.

We then married in secret and announced it at the party.

We married because we wanted to, we provided the party because we wanted to - expecting the guests to pay for it would have been totally out of order!
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Over the past 2 years I have been to over 12 weddings!

Each have differed, most have had lists from John Lewis. None have asked for cash outright (although my best friend is doing this and I pleaded with her not to put a note in with the invitations [STRIKE]begging[/STRIKE] asking for cash- sure enough it was there in my invite).

I am going to a wedding in a couple of weeks where the couple are very arty and wacky. They have asked for no shop bought gifts but for guests to make something or provide a service for them. Oh is a qualified accountant so he has pledged to do their tax returns next year (they're self employed). I have pledged to work in their showroom at weekends whilst they are on honeymoon, this is costing me nothing but time but is saving them over £200.

I would not be happy overtly paying for someone's wedding, as others have said, if you can't afford it don't do it!
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • nancypearl
    Options
    If the couple were very young and had not lived together then I might consider giving them some cash to help then set up home, as they would really need and appreciate it. But I would certainly not give money to a couple who had been in employment for years and already had a home.
  • durster2006
    Options
    Simple, if I couldn't afford to get married i wouldn't.

Even paying for drinks at a wedding takes the !!!!.

If you came to dinner at my house I would be offended if you bought food or drinks and that includes wine.

If I'm hosting anything I wouldn't expect my guests to lift a finger or pay for a thing. And No im not rich.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure