PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How long does it take you to clean your house?

Options

Comments

• jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im recently retired too. You seem to have your priorities in the right order givememoney.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3-4 hours, top to bottom, every Saturday morning. That's just cleaning, ie polishing, vacuuming, mopping, wiping down, bathrooms, not laundry or bed changing, they get done during the week.

But I never dust and rarely vacuum during the week.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    We do a load of washing, the dishwasher, bin and kitchen sides/sink each day (so maybe 10-15 minutes) plus 1 or 2 'jobs' each day (10-15 minutes). For ex, today the job is dusting downstairs, tomorrow it's cobweb everywhere and clean the upstairs shower and bath.

I made a list that spreads our jobs out so that I can do everything twice a week (so nothing ever gets too dirty/dusty/desperate) and I have time to squeeze the 'job/s' in the morning before work and just know I do the 'daily tasks' after tea each evening without noticing.

I love it. I never have to spend 3 or 4 hours at the weekend cleaning instead of enjoying my little man and hubby when he's off. It really suits us down to the ground. I used to do the weekly shop and a 3 or 4 hour clean each Saturday or Sunday and it lost me 6 hours of family time.
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    I spread my cleaning out and prefer it that way. Some things only want doing once a week or less and something's are done everyday it just depends I guess.
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow, so I'm somewhere in the middle by the sound of it.

My normal routine (up to now) is -

Everyday - clean kitchen sink and worktops, put a load in the dishwasher, make bed, cooking, tidying up.

Mondays - 2 loads of washing (dark coloured and light coloured clothes)

Tuesdays - 2 loads of washing (bedding and towels)

Wednesdays - big weekly shop, ironing

Thursday - clean office, bedrooms and bathroom

Friday - clean living room and dining room, mop kitchen floor.

There's only the two of us these days, and we work from home, so things are easier than they used to be. We don't make a lot of mess, so tidying up doesn't take long. However, we are still in the midst of fairly big renoavations (6 rooms done, 4 to go plus the biggy - hall, stairs, landing, and then the second stairs and landing) so dust is something of an issue.

I think in future I might do the whole lot on a Thursday, and give myself Friday off!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I hate cleaning and clean less now I have a 3 year old than before. She's much more fun than hoovering and wiping skirtingboards!!!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only clean when it is needed. I do a little each day. With each of the tasks spread over the week.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I spread out tasks, and laundry over the week. Frees up the weekend for more fun stuff :)
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Pippin12
    Pippin12 Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's only me in a two bedroom flat and it never gets very untidy. I do it top to bottom in four hours every couple of weeks.
  • Savannah02K
    Options
    I'm a spreader out over the weeker: Weds dust, polish and vac bedrooms and then clean bathroom, Thurs dust, polish and vac landing, stairs, hall, living room and dining room. Bulk shop Fri night on way home from work. Washing gets done as needed throughout the week so only couple of washes (bed changes) at weekend. I iron much less now than I used (those days when I used to iron tea towels, what was I thinking?!), usually do that whilst listening to Broadcasting House on Sun morning. Kitchen I wipe down every night after tea, ditto kitchen floor.

I work full time at mo so adding on an extra hour or two two nights a week is no big deal for me, I don't go to the gym those nights so look upon it as 1) my exercise and 2) my freedom pass for the weekend. I learnt from my mom that regular cleaning means no big cleaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport