Been sanctioned on JSA any options left

4 week sanction for missing appointment, say I will get hardship in 2 weeks time, they put in referral to food bank and will get at least one, which will probably last a few days.

Now i moved form city to country, in city there were plenty of free food places, now I am properly stuck.

Any options?

Comments

• 111222 wrote: »
    4 week sanction for missing appointment, say I will get hardship in 2 weeks time, they put in referral to food bank and will get at least one, which will probably last a few days.

Now i moved form city to country, in city there were plenty of free food places, now I am properly stuck.

Any options?

Why did you miss the appointment? Did you let them know in advance?
  • samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    And have you appealed? You should, even if in the wrong -costs nothing and you might succeed. GL24 is the form you need to complete.
  • Dear 111222

If it is a Work Programme sanction ....
    The guaranteed way to make a WP sanction disppear is to state that you could not attend because you were ill. Go into the Jobcentre and complete a JSA28 to cover the period when you were supposed to have attended. This is the form to note absence due to sickness. Make sure the period is less than 14 days or your claim will be closed - you are allowed up to 14 days absence due to sickness on JSA. Any more than that and you will have to claim ESA.

You are allowed 2 periods of sickness within any rolling 12 mths so if you've already completed 2 other JSA28 forms within the last 12 mths that will also close your claim.

Then complete a DR7 to appeal the sanction. Ensure that a copy of the JSA28 is attached to the DR7.

Good luck
  • The OP doesn't say he was ill - are you telling him to lie?
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    samsmoot wrote: »
    And have you appealed? You should, even if in the wrong -costs nothing

Excellent advice. Tie up and delay the appeals process for those with a proper argument to be heard by appealing "even if in the wrong" and because it costs nothing.

Is it any wonder the government is now considering charging for appeals?

Well done for helping the government do its dirty work.
  • ArtoDeeto
    ArtoDeeto Posts: 344 Forumite
    111222 wrote: »
    Any options?
    NO you are f*ck*d - you probably should have turned up for the interview.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done for helping the government do its dirty work.

You don't seem to be doing such a bad job yourself, and without even knowing the circumstances. Why not go and kick them in the goolies just to make sure?

Of course they should have turned up for their interview, but you are just smugly doing the government's job of demonising the unemployed. I've been critical on these boards of some posters, but I try to be so on the basis of a bit more evidence...
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2014 at 2:53PM
    You don't seem to be doing such a bad job yourself, and without even knowing the circumstances.

If you read my post properly you would see I haven't even commented about the OP's situation.

I responded to a post that said the OP should appeal even if in the wrong. That's frivolous and time wasting and holds up people who believe they DO have a case.
    Of course they should have turned up for their interview, but you are just smugly doing the government's job of demonising the unemployed. I've been critical on these boards of some posters, but I try to be so on the basis of a bit more evidence...
    I'm doing no such thing. I actually said that making frivolous appeals leading to charges for appeals (and, thus, people less likely to appeal when they have a good case) was helping the government to do their dirty work.

How could you possibly interpret that as meaning I was doing the government's job of demonising the unemployed?

I suggest you read the post to which I responded and then read mine again. Perhaps you'll then see I said zero about the OP.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Unless and until the OP says why they didn't attend, it's hard to give advice.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • osdset
    osdset Posts: 4,447 Forumite
    One in fifty JSA claimants appeal sanctions. In the last quarter to September 30th last year 87% of those appeals had been successful. That's why HM Gov are considering charging for appeals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure