Forum Home» Gaming MoneySaving

Good board games - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Good board games

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
103 replies 56K views

Replies

• Some great suggestions here.

One thing I would note is that King of Tokyo – a favourite mentioned by many – now has a newer edition King of New York. They’re basically the same game, just King of New York is slightly more polished and complete. Although it is currently (to my knowledge) lacking expansions, which is it’s one limitation compared to the original.

If you want competitive boardgames then Sheriff of Nottingham and Epic Wizard Battles are both good fun.

The former, you are all merchants trying to bring (or smuggle) items into town, while you each take it in turn to be the sheriff of Nottingham. The sheriff can search the merchants and depending on whether they’ve got what they claimed, or whether they lied, the merchant either gets compensation from the sheriff or fined money (as well as the goods confiscated). It’s a game full of bluffing and is good fun.

Epic Wizard battles is a simple deathmatch between several wizards, and you each have to make up long/ridiculous spells using the cards you pick up. The more powerful spells take longer to cast, so there is a balance to be struck between doing as much damage as possible, and making sure you get to cast your spell before someone else kills you!

If you want more cooperative games, then Forbidden Desert/Island are both good options (and very similar). In these you play as a team to get the treasure and fix your vehicle before you die. Each player has different abilities allowing them to traverse tiles in different ways, and you work together to explore and find the treasure. However each turn flooding/sandstorms occur, removing tiles from play and putting you at risk of getting stranded. This game is very much in the same category as pandemic, but I’d say with simpler rules.
  • JasXJasX Forumite
    4K posts
    elivercury wrote: »
    Some great suggestions here.

One thing I would note is that King of T

or as with many of the suggestions you have there or occuring above.... wander over to boardgamegeek.com, have a look at their top 100 and read a few reviews

https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

(maybe skip #1 tho, -Pandemic: Legacy it is thoroughly deserving the top slot but it costs £60 and can only ever be played ONCE)
  • Crazy_JamieCrazy_Jamie Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JasX wrote: »
    (maybe skip #1 tho, -Pandemic: Legacy it is thoroughly deserving the top slot but it costs £60 and can only ever be played ONCE)
    Not strictly true. You play it plenty of times, it's just that once you reach the end of the narrative you can no longer play it. You'll get a good number of sessions out of it, though I agree that it's not the place to start your game collection. There is an increasing (and welcome) trend of 'finite' board games where eventually you'll reach the point where you can't play them anymore. They are generally excellent, but you certainly need some experience to get the most out of them.

While we're on that subject, I'm playing through Time Stories at the moment (currently ranked a respectable 66 on BGG) and it really is excellent.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • JasXJasX Forumite
    4K posts
    While we're on that subject, I'm playing through Time Stories at the moment (currently ranked a respectable 66 on BGG) and it really is excellent.

My other half liked this a lot when we played it with friends... I thought a certain puzzle in the main base game / first mission was a bit too obscure tbh
  • Zombicide is genuinely epic
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to go retro past Ludo etc, I can commend hnefatafl. We made our own set & the lads still enjoy playing each other at it.

Senet is also popular, and again, an easy game to make then play.

It adds colour to history lessons & playing either with a full class can be loads of fun...
  • Dobble is a great mini card game. Its tin of round cards with pictures jumble around. There are 9 mini game that involve matching up the shapes to either collect or giveaway your cards.

Jungle Speed is a great, fast-thinking, card game. It's similar to snap. There is a bunch of cards with similar looking pattens that you to match and be the first to snatch a totem from the middle of the table. If you snatch on the wrong card you inherit all the cards.
  • I've been getting back into board games and Card games. Uno is great fun. Also just discovered a card game called Android Netrunner which is highly addictive! Anyway, 2 board games that are brilliant:

Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert - the board disappears/is buried as you play together against the game - one of the best I've ever played
  • ALIBOBSYALIBOBSY Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread makes for interesting reading, was always a big board game fan with my family when growing up and am trying to keep the kids into them as well.

Love the classics, but want to try some newer games as well.

Would love any tips on which games can be played by a range of ages, got the new version of game of life which has changed quite a bit and added extra bits, like miming etc which the kids loved. Kids are 5, 8, 13, and 17. Youngest can deal with game of life no problem.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-November £610.22/£750

Make up to £10 a day-December £73.84/£620
  • ElefantEdElefantEd Forumite
    864 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Would love any tips on which games can be played by a range of ages, got the new version of game of life which has changed quite a bit and added extra bits, like miming etc which the kids loved. Kids are 5, 8, 13, and 17. Youngest can deal with game of life no problem.

Ali x

You could try Castle Panic - this is a co-operative game (though can be played with an element of competitiveness by seeing who kills the most monsters in the event that you beat the game). It's one game which all ages can enjoy equally, and it is quite tense (in a good way) and exciting.