Good board games

can anyone recommend any good board games? Played a game called ticket ride to europe at the weekend for the first time and it is brilliant. Would like similar games to play...

Comments

• Can't beat the classic game of strategy that is CHESS.

Do have a soft spot for ConnectFour though
    I love travelling :A
  • millysg1
    millysg1 Posts: 532 Forumite
    Never played that one but i played a really fun one at christmas called LOGO. We all had a blast.
  • millysg1 wrote: »
    Never played that one but i played a really fun one at christmas called LOGO. We all had a blast.

Yeah I have that, it's good fun!
  • Cherry24
    Cherry24 Posts: 328 Forumite
    I really like LOGO too. If you are looking for something strategic, challenging and extremely addictive, there is a co-operative board game called 'pandemic' which is great. You play against the board game rather than against each other. You work together to win the game.

It's a bit like a cross between chess and risk.
  • ITonyI
    ITonyI Posts: 80 Forumite
    Really been getting into Risk lately, it's really good played with friends. We've tried a couple of themed sets (Starcraft and Lord of the Rings) and found them really fun with the unique rule modifiers in each.
  • Cherry24 wrote: »
    I really like LOGO too. If you are looking for something strategic, challenging and extremely addictive, there is a co-operative board game called 'pandemic' which is great. You play against the board game rather than against each other. You work together to win the game.

It's a bit like a cross between chess and risk.

thanks, I will have a look at that!
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I suggest having a look at https://www.boardgamegeek.com and/or asking around there.

Ticket to ride is one of the more recently established classic games but there are literally thousands out there some of which are great fun, some of which are horrendously unbalanced. So worth reading a review or two (see above link) before spending any money

Fun light-ish weight ones I hear recommended again and again that might be worth checking out:

Settlers of catan
    7wonders
    Pandemic
    King of Tokyo
    Small world
    Galaxy truckers
    Smash up
    The manhattan project
    TZolkin
    Carcassonne
    Kakkerlaken poker
    Dominion
    Ra
    Little Prince:make me a planet
    Dixit
    Hanabi
    Ankh-Morpork
    Libertalia
    Power grid

Depends on how many people you're likely to be playing with (some really great 4-5 player games don't work well with 2-3 players) if there are any particular 'themes' of game they like and the level of complexity they can cope with.

Browsing that list should find something 'entry level' for most types of people
  • We like Ticket to Ride too :)

I second the advice to look at board game geek - lots of good insight before you buy. Carcassonne is also one of our favourites, and we have recently got into Dominion.

Good luck - I think games are a great investment if you think about how frequently they get played.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    I dont think you can beat the old games, trivial pursuit, monopoly, scrabble, pictionary.

We did get the LOGO game for Christmas last year and is a very good game. Pass the bomb is also a good fun game
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Articulate is brilliant!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills