Tesco announce 4G at no extra cost!

ZhugeEX
ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
edited 30 January 2014 at 2:30PM in Mobiles
Tesco Mobile has joined the 4G price war by announcing its 4G service will be free from today (30 January).

The retailer also confirmed that both new and existing SIM-only postpay customers would benefit from an ultrafast service at no extra charge, making it the first MVNO to offer the service for free. The supermarket chain had been charging £2.50 extra for 4G previously.

Tesco chief marketing officer, Simon Groves, said: ‘After giving customers the chance to try 4G at their own pace with our flexible 4G tariffs, we've seen people really benefit from what it has to offer. Customers should be able to expect more from their mobile network, so as we see demand for 4G become more widespread, we wanted to take a different approach. Introducing free 4G is a clear example of our intention to provide all of our customers with the very best at no extra cost.’

On SIM Only you can now get 1000 Minutes, 5000 texts and 1GB of 4G data for just £10pm. This is an unbeatable deal if you're looking for a cheap SIM only deal with access to all 2G/3G/4G. You can double the minutes and triple the data for just £5 extra.

On contract you can get 3000 Mins, 5000 texts and 3GB data with a free Nokia Lumia 920 for £26pm. Once again another great deal that can't be matched by MNO's. Tesco offer between 500mb data and 8GB data.

http://shop.tescomobile.com/4g

Comments

• wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Good deal if you only want 1Gb of data and can get 4G.

To little an amount for me and no regular access to 4G so no reason to move at the moment.
  • ZhugeEX
    wiogs wrote: »
    Good deal if you only want 1Gb of data and can get 4G.

To little an amount for me and no regular access to 4G so no reason to move at the moment.

Tesco provide up to 8GB.

The point here is that if you saw value in Tesco's tariffs before, you can pay no extra and get access to a whole new technology type (4G). You're getting 2G/3G and 4G all in the same price as before.
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 January 2014 at 1:21PM
    Is there any up to date detail on the rollout of Tesco/O2 4G? OR even a link to a site that has updates?
  • ZhugeEX
    SandLake wrote: »
    Is there any up to date detail on the rollout of Tesco/O2 4G?

Just what's on here-

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/coverage-and-cities
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had seen that - and signed up for updates (and spam). Thought there might have been some detail.

I am quite amazed in this era of communication tools that this sort of thing can't be performed better. I would be happy to be told my area is not on the list for this year - at least I would know!
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Great news for the consumer.Just need more places to use 4g now once o2 get their finger out rolling out the 4g.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    neil40 wrote: »
    Great news for the consumer.Just need more places to use 4g now once o2 get their finger out rolling out the 4g.

Heh heh , there won't be any need, the way the price increase thread is going, you would think there is going to be a mass exodus of millions of customers.
    But overall the news is good a 3 are going to offer at no extra charge, perhaps the others will adopt the same policy.
  • ZhugeEX
    SandLake wrote: »
    I had seen that - and signed up for updates (and spam). Thought there might have been some detail.

I am quite amazed in this era of communication tools that this sort of thing can't be performed better. I would be happy to be told my area is not on the list for this year - at least I would know!

I think in this case O2 would rather under promise and over deliver. Rather than over promise and under deliver. All networks have faced issues with their 4G roll out so they wouldn't want to boast too much about 4G coming to a town/city when that eventually gets delayed by 10 years :D
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    Tesco provide up to 8GB.

The point here is that if you saw value in Tesco's tariffs before, you can pay no extra and get access to a whole new technology type (4G). You're getting 2G/3G and 4G all in the same price as before.

Tesco may well provide 8Gb, albeit at a price greater than I am prepared or indeed need to pay.

If I was regularly in a place that had a decent 4G signal then it might be of benefit, however as I often visit places than don't even have decent 3G coverage then this deal is not for me.

However as I said for those that it is applicable to, it is an excellent deal.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wiogs wrote: »
    Tesco may well provide 8Gb, albeit at a price greater than I am prepared or indeed need to pay.

If I was regularly in a place that had a decent 4G signal then it might be of benefit, however as I often visit places than don't even have decent 3G coverage then this deal is not for me.

However as I said for those that it is applicable to, it is an excellent deal.

It's not just about 4g though, the rest of the allowance is generous too, I pay £21 on O2 for 600 mins 1000txt and unlimited data (although I use less than 200mb a month nowadays) , but the Tesco deal is perhaps less than half the price of O2 (at present) .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure