Loss of HD sound after Sky update.

Options
Just in case anyone else experiences the same problem with loss of HD sound.

Following update on Wednesday night, wondered why the box was in standby the next morning, we lost all sound on the HD channels even programmes we had recorded. Turns out that the update can change the sound setting from normal to Dolby which prevents sound in HD, non HD channels work OK. Using the services menu and resetting sound to normal cures the loss of sound.

Comments

• Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    The Dolby option is the "HD" audio, by resetting to "Normal" all you have done is revert to 2 channel analogue stereo.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Dolby option is the "HD" audio, by resetting to "Normal" all you have done is revert to 2 channel analogue stereo.

Sure you're right but until Sky, who are aware that there's a problem, sort it out 2 channel sound must be better than no sound on HD.
    More than happy with the sound from my new LG soundbar even though it may be 2 channel. Looking on the Sky help forum shows this problem has been known for many months and the only answer is to revert the sound to normal, unless you know of another way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    More than happy with the sound from my new LG soundbar even though it may be 2 channel.
    If you're only getting stereo from a sound bar your connections are not set up correctly. You either need a optical audio cable or HDMI, both of which should give you full Dolby surround sound from channels which broadcast it when you preselect that option in the Sky Menu.

The Sky update may well have altered your settings, but your ability to listen both in Dolby Surround or "normal" stereo should not be affected. If Dolby is not selected your sound bar should automatically output stereo if it is properly connected.

If you are "more than happy" with stereo sound, you will be positively ecstatic when you hear Dolby surround from HD channels.
  • nickcc
    Options
    If you're only getting stereo from a sound bar your connections are not set up correctly. You either need a optical audio cable or HDMI, both of which should give you full Dolby surround sound from channels which broadcast it when you preselect that option in the Sky Menu.

The Sky update may well have altered your settings, but your ability to listen both in Dolby Surround or "normal" stereo should not be affected. If Dolby is not selected your sound bar should automatically output stereo if it is properly connected.

If you are "more than happy" with stereo sound, you will be positively ecstatic when you hear Dolby surround from HD channels.
    When you select Dolby on the HD box you loose all sound on live and recorded HD programs on both the TV and sound bar, the sound bar does give stereo sound and bass from the stand alone wifi speaker, Optical and HDMI cables are all connected correctly.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Odd makes no difference on my set up, both options work.
    Sadly having only one ear that works the joys of surround a sound are denied me.
    Samsung TV and optically connected soundbar.
    Sky (Amstrad ) 1 Terrorbite box.:D
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When you select Dolby on the HD box you loose all sound on live and recorded
    Not on my HD box and sound bar you don't.:p
    You're blaming a minor glitch with Sky's updating but, as others are not affected, you need to investigate your own set up.
    Optical and HDMI cables are all connected correctly.
    Clearly not, otherwise you'd get Dolby surround rather than silence when selected. Check your sound bar settings. Have you, perhaps, got two connections to the same input causing one to cancel the other?
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Odd makes no difference on my set up, both options work.
    This is exactly as they should (and do).

I'm sure others will be along who can suggest other possible solutions...
  • nickcc
    Options
    Not on my HD box and sound bar you don't.:p

Clearly not, otherwise you'd get Dolby surround rather than silence when selected. Check your sound bar settings.

This is exactly as they should (and do).

With the sound bar disconnected you still loose all sound on the TV when a HD channel is selected with the HD box set to Dolby, non HD channels work OK. If you look on the Sky help forum you will see that this problem has been around for some time and having a sound bar or not makes no difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    With the sound bar disconnected you still loose all sound on the TV when a HD channel is selected with the HD box set to Dolby,
    As I've already told you, I (and everyone with a surround set up) is capable of getting Dolby surround sound both over optical and (recently) HDMI.
    If you get no sound when you select Dolby then there is something wrong with your set up-not Sky's.

Are you sure you're not reading old threads about the lack of surround over HDMI BEFORE Sky implemented the fix for this last year?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just in case anyone else experiences the same problem with loss of HD sound.

Following update on Wednesday night, wondered why the box was in standby the next morning, we lost all sound on the HD channels even programmes we had recorded. Turns out that the update can change the sound setting from normal to Dolby which prevents sound in HD, non HD channels work OK. Using the services menu and resetting sound to normal cures the loss of sound.

My box does the same, Digital Audio Output has to be set to normal to get sound.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    With the sound bar disconnected you still loose all sound on the TV when a HD channel is selected with the HD box set to Dolby, non HD channels work OK. If you look on the Sky help forum you will see that this problem has been around for some time and having a sound bar or not makes no difference.

I get full Dolby DD through my amp with no problems.

What version of Sky software are you on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure