Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    I loved your year in review and the super plans for next year. Have a wonderful Christmas and I look forward to hearing about your adventures next year :)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for doing a summary of the year, as it made it nice and easy for me to catch up with all your news.

I'm really pleased that you have been making good progress on all fronts. I found, in my first year of retirement that I had made lots of detailed plans, and sometimes it was a real slog trying to get everything done. Now, my plans tend to be more general and fluid. I also realised that I was putting pressure on myself to achieve everything in my detailed plans. Now, I cut myself some slack, as long as I feel I'm progressing, that's fine.

Also really excited that you are thinking about a cruise! There's a cruise out there for everyone - it's just finding the right one! These mega ships with 5000 people or more don't particularly interest me. The largest ship I've been on is P&O Britannia, with about 3500 people. However, I prefer the more mid-sized ships, with up to 2000 people. Large enough to have a good choice of activities, but not totally impersonal. Great people watching opportunities, and I love to see what books everyone is reading, although Kindles have started to put as top to that

I went on CMV's Columbus from Tilbury in September. Columbus is a slightly smaller, older ship, about 1400 people, and the price is very reasonable. I was impressed.

I've been on one river cruise, which was with Viking, down the Danube. It was a great experience. It is quite expensive, but a lot of things are included in the price, so it was value for mo years, and the ship was beautiful. It's very different from ocean cruising, as there's only about 200 people in the ship, and everybody was very friendly. Would love to do another one, perhaps the Rhine another time.

Hope you are enjoying Christmas
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Goldie! I was just telling my sister today that I'd hunt out your diary, because I know you have lots of experience with cruises, thank you for that post :kisses3: I really think we're going to do that cruise - probably down to the Med, neither of us have been on a cruise before and we don't fancy the expensiveness of the river cruises for a first experience.

Christmas was lovely, thank you, and the roads were very low-occupancy, so to speak :rotfl: though it got a bit tricky with a deluge *and* high winds.

My nephew got my phone working the way it should do :T:T:T

Followed my sister's example and bought a pair of 100% cotton trousers in the Next sale for £6 :j you really can't beat that.

Lots of low-key enjoyable Christmassy things, I joined WhatsApp and my niece in law promptly sent me a dozen images of cats :D and apparently it's compulsory to download citymapper :p Much fun was had by all.

Back to setting up for 2018 tomorrow :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yep, I'm absolutely all about setting up for 2018, though I had an awful sleep so I may snooze out later on ...
    - did a Wilko order - compost of various sorts, plastic crates (some of which will go into the new brick shed),
    - got more to grips with SB, I'm up to 918 right now :) got a bit more I can do too.
    - checking on the phone stuff. I must log in to my regular email on the phone to keep an eye out for the Wilko delivery notice - utterly **appalling** delivery practices still in operation: a window of 4 days!
    - I've brought my scanner down to the living room to do some stuff, on a day like today it's much cosier as the weather is vile, and I don't need to be sitting up at a desk.

I was going to carry on with the wall painting, or at least go food clearance, but I'm not going out there for love nor money :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely Christmas KC! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Hi Goldie! I was just telling my sister today that I'd hunt out your diary, because I know you have lots of experience with cruises, thank you for that post :kisses3: I really think we're going to do that cruise - probably down to the Med, neither of us have been on a cruise before and we don't fancy the expensiveness of the river cruises for a first experience.

If there's ever anything you want to know about cruises, please feel free to ask. (I want to get everyone cruising! :rotfl:)
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • michelle09
    Options
    Merry Christmas KC, glad you had a good one. :)
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Hello, I just caught up on your yearly review, and it looks as if it will be a great year. Good luck with it all. Xx
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thank you all! Goldie, yes, I'll head over your way to check out some cruising stuff.

It's cold! No chance of doing anything in the garden, or any painting that requires the windows open :eek: I shall be sorting either jewellery or curtains :)

I faffed about with SB yesterday - I hope it gets quicker - I did achieve the daily goal, which earned me a whole 1SB - otoh, my Wilko order got me 124 SBs, which is good! Plus 55 for the birthday I kept quiet about on here :D Also did some scanning, and some tidying, though I want to change that round, I don't like how it's come out.

My Wilko order: they say it's been despatched to the delivery firm, who say this:
    05:57THE EXPECTED GOODS HAVE NOT BEEN PROVIDED BY THE CUSTOMER.
    22:48
    YOUR ITEM(S) ARE BEING PROCESSED BY OUR DELIVERY DEPOT.
    15:18
    CREATED BY DEPOT

So heaven only knows :rotfl:

I hope everyone has a lovely tweentimes day :)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Happy Belated Kept Quiet Birthday Karma _party_

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure