The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Sandypan
    Sandypan Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    18/21 for me tonight

Not drinking really helps me to sleep better and that is the biggest positive for me. When I have a good night sleep I am more energised and able to get through a stressfull day at work. If I do wake up and can't get back to sleep I have a banana and that seems to do the trick, can't remember what's in it but all natural!
    DF by Christmas 2014 #78 £18,964.15/£15,000
    DF by Christmas 2015 #07 £16,500/£21,992.92
    DF by Christmas 2016 #42 £4570/£4,500
    CC and loan debt at it's worst April 07 - £54,489 plus
    27/01/14 Officially Debt Free - except mortgage which I'm working on!
    26/02/16 mortgage free
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2015 at 3:34AM
    Options
    Muser1 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice from you lovely lot!

Sooooo...Oh has admitted to having a drink problem. I knew I guess but putting a label on it seems to make it more real.

He's quite positive at the moment. Feels better for talking to me and is determined to quit. He's investigating new hobbies to give him a focus.

Today is day 3.

What can I do to help??

It is a bit early to say what I was going to start this post with, which was 'What did the trick for me'. That would be a bit arrogant, declaring victory after only 7 weeks, and also massively underestimating my opponent (alcohol).

But it did help me immensely to go onto websites that predict your longevity, when you input various lifestyle factors including your alcohol consumption. I don't have any links, but they are easy enough to find. I deliberately focused on the worst one that I found (to put it into context I'm 57), it only gave me only another 20 years to live if I continued drinking as I was, but another 33 years if I could get down to 21 units per week. My lifestyle is otherwise extremely healthy, I run, cycle, hike and swim, eat plenty fruit and veg, try to not eat too much processed food and red meat, and I don't smoke. So alcohol really stands out as my one bad vice. What those websites don't tell you is what would the last 3 to 5 years be like, I'm guessing not that good, so that 20 years might have only been 15 years of good health!

Obviously I am a long way from an ultimate victory, but I have started well, and I have got my average over the 7 weeks down to only 22.7 (from about 90) units a week, my weekly target is 18.8 units (2 bottles of Blossom Hill, soft and fruity red). Obviously (with an average off 22.7 units) I have been over that some weeks, but I am nevertheless pleased with my performance. I know that I will occasionally exceed my weekly target, which is why I track my average, I am hoping to get my long term average down to 21 units, despite the odd hiccup.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hang on in there Alex. It gets better.

Chuck, yuo're doing really well! Good on you.

23/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nothing to report form here - I had a glass on wine last night but nothing excessive and we put the cork back in on half a bottle left.

I have to pick my sone up at 10.30 tonight so I have to remain AF until then, so probably won't have anything.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• piggles1
    piggles1 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    I managed to get through the Apprentice last night without anything to drink so left it alone for the night and had none at all :) It was tempting, but I thought if I did it once I can do it again. I'll add it to the ALDs but maybe next month I can have an AFD target.

chucknorris that's good going. I daren't check my life expectancy because it might scare me. I wonder how long a person has to stay at the lower level for old indulgences to be rubbed out.

gien it's a good feeling to put a bottle back unfinished.

6/8 ALD please shaggy :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gien wrote: »
    I have to pick my son up at 10.30 tonight so I have to remain AF until then, so probably won't have anything.

Stay away from that bottle gien. that would be a huge waste of an AF day. Either go straight to bed or put the kettle on.
    piggles1 wrote: »
    I managed to get through the Apprentice last night without anything to drink so left it alone for the night and had none at all :) It was tempting, but I thought if I did it once I can do it again. I'll add it to the ALDs but maybe next month I can have an AFD target.

:T that's really great piggles, well done you!! I find it best to plan in advance when I'm going to drink and when I'm not. It's not a foolproof method as very occasionally I have a 's*d it' day where I give in but it helps me mostly. It can be hard around early evening but the later it gets in the evening the less likely I am to drink as I don't want to let myself down (or others on here strangely). Over time it does get easier I promise:).
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    17 for yesterday and this evening. :)

Piggles: My sleep problems aren't anything to do with drinking, at least I think not. For the past 2 years I have significantly cut down.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • piggles1
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    :T that's really great piggles, well done you!! I find it best to plan in advance when I'm going to drink and when I'm not. It's not a foolproof method as very occasionally I have a 's*d it' day where I give in but it helps me mostly. It can be hard around early evening but the later it gets in the evening the less likely I am to drink as I don't want to let myself down (or others on here strangely). Over time it does get easier I promise:).

thanks maman :) one of the things that stopped me was I'd already said on here I'd planned it! I don't normally say what I'm about to do in case I don't do it.

And yeh I agree once it gets past 9pm it's much easier to not bother for the last hour or so, even if I don't actually go to bed at 10ish it feels too late to ruin a good AF evening and start.
  • piggles1
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Piggles: My sleep problems aren't anything to do with drinking, at least I think not. For the past 2 years I have significantly cut down.

Ah I see. It must be really frustrating to not sleep properly. I hope you find something that starts to make it a bit easier :)
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning :hello:

1 more ALD for Thursday.

11825833_832148610233885_8740359392144502104_n.jpg?oh=188b2bc65ad41cc2596d2e8492ddfd4f&oe=56617125&__gda__=1453624498_205f05a417bb5bfc64dc121b02e3ba5e

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure