SandyPan 7/29
    signyay.png
    SmallHoldingSister 7/30
    signyay.png

ThriftMonster 2/14

Alcohol Low Days

Dizzy Imp 4/21

Shaggy 5/25

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 September 2015 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure where I fit in with my alcohol consumption, it took me years to realise that I even had a problem. I drink about 8 to 9 bottles of wine a week (I almost never have a dry day, so it is constant). Although I did cut down to 21 units a week for over a year, this ended last summer. I have no (known) health problems but I am concerned that it won't be long before I develop one if I continue drinking. This morning I made an appointment to see my doctor next Friday (18th September), I am going to ask him about being prescribed Campral to help me stop drinking. I understand that you are supposed to have already stopped drinking when you start this medication, does anyone know if one weeks abstinence is long enough? I also understand that you have to have counselling too, does anyone know what extent this counselling will be?

I'm not expecting Campral to provide a miracle cure, I'm just hoping that it helps a bit, and that it might make the difference.

Sorry I can't help with information on Campral, Chuck, but like Maman I think that was somewhere around the amount I was drinking if I'm strictly honest. And I never managed to moderate or cut down as you did last year so the omens are pretty good. To be blunt, I'd imagine any counselling would be likely to be what your local health authority can afford to fund, and there may be a waiting list. Good luck with it and stick around if we can help. I couldn't have done what I've done without this thread and some other bits and pieces of support - it didn't occur to me to ask my GP for medication but if I'd thought of it I would definitely have done so.
    Gonzo1987 wrote: »
    I have made it a week sober! WAHOOO I am so proud of myself! I don't even miss alcohol at this stage.

Huge congratuations and well done! :j:j:j
    Sandypan wrote: »
    Still not sleeping very well and headaches are becoming unbearable, has anybody else suffered these withdrawal symptoms or is it just a coincidence?

I can't remember exactly what the first couple of weeks were like giving up the booze and going cold turkey but I do know they were the trickiest. I've just found my first post on Page 129 when I made the decision and gone forward a couple of days and discovered I didn't sleep at all well until Day 6, but I haven't got time to find any of my other posts. May I suggest a couple of things? I found reading other people's diaries and blogs full of helpful information, some of which you might find true for you, too. And when I have a headache I take paracetmol and have absolutely no qualms about doing so; it's a lot less harmful than alcohol and I never had any problems necking gallons of that. My most persistent withdrawal symptom that I do remember was exhaustion - I could barely move out of bed for two solid weeks. Several people on this thread told me that was normal because of the lack of sugar from the alcohol and that information was very, very helpful.

9/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've no experience of Campral chuck but I'd suggest anything that helps is worth a try even if it acts as a placebo. When I started cutting down I took Kudzu religiously every day. I'm not sure it helped physiologically at all but psychologically it was me telling myself I'm not going to drink tonight.

ALD for me yesterday. I had one glass in the pub and sipped on a small glass when I got home. Previously I'd have just hit the bottle at home on the Mastermind principle.;)

I'm not going to record ALDs just yet. I'm just happy that I don't go mad on planned drinking days.

No drinking planned today.

5 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Gonzo1987 wrote: »
    I have made it a week sober! WAHOOO I am so proud of myself! I don't even miss alcohol at this stage.

VERY well done.

I am 9/30 please shaggy. 10 days AF and sleeping for England!
  • Carviscocker
    Options
    ✨✨✨ day 9 yay ✨✨✨
    I am officially debt free! Debt paid: £18,600 Current Savings: Pot 1 £300 //// Pot 2 (premium bonds) £3,800 :T:j
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    7/20 for tonight please.
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    6/20 AFDs tonight.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    9/30 AFDs and 150 AFDs in a row
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    9/30 AFDs and 150 AFDs in a row

That's amazing!!:T Well Done.
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    So including today I'll be at 10/30

Barny - that's amazing well done!

I'm getting through social situations sober, which I used to really struggle with, so I'm really pleased with myself, although, looking forward to the start of October as we're going out for our anniversary and I'd like to enjoy a little drop of champers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure