Oh come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log"

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great list Buffy.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,514 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Buffy like you said on my diary how spooky re the 100 day challenge! We both like this type of thing don't we? Challenges, lists, goals - lovely! Would be even better if I could actually see mine through! Good luck with yours.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffythedebtslayer Posts: 18,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2014 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Magpie100 wrote: »
    Hello Buffy,

I’m a long-time lurker on these boards, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy your diary. You write very well, and it feels really real, and that makes a big difference. So first of all, thank you.

That is such a lovely thing to say, really, that means a lot. I tend to forget people who don't always post but who might read. I am chuffed, thank you XX
    Magpie100 wrote: »
    Secondly, I wondered if I could help you out with one thing on your list. This one:

Drive on the motorway.

Just so you know, I am a similar age to you, and I only passed my driving test in March 2012, so it’s not like I have been driving for years. And I was a nervous driver – so, so nervous. Like lots of new drivers, the thought of going on a motorway was inconceivable to me. Surely I would end up stranded at the end of a sliproad, or the car would just…explode. Or we’d hit 70 and I would explode. Or something.

Anyway, because of where I live, my satnav did not share this view, and started routing me on to the motorway pretty early on. So I HAD to do it. And you know what? Motorway driving is now my favourite thing. And this year I managed to drive in Florida and Austria, and I think the fact that I was confident on motorways by then really helped (I am boasting about my driving exploits not to show off, but to show that anyone can do this. I know so because I did it and I never would have thought I could.)

So if you have specific concerns do feel free to say (sliproads? Lorries? spontaneous combustion?) and I will see I can help. If I can do it at the age of 36 in a Honda Jazz, then you certainly can.

Keep on it!

Magpie100xx

I don't know really, to be honest I never wanted to drive, I did cos it is so necessary when responsible for some who is older. I just worried about getting to hospital if Mum was ill. so that made me learn. That and widening the net as far as work was concerned.

So I learnt, passed my test and literally just drove to work and back and not many other places. I did drive in the holidays and even took motorway lessons(hated them) and was pootling along ok.

However, then I had a near miss on the way home from work and it terrified me.

I am much better now, having driven to a new place of work for a year. However the thought of driving at speed frightens me. I just about cope with 60 and ok at 40 or 50. Anything faster and I can't really do it very well, I don't feel safe. I don't feel I am capable.

My friends all say the same, it is easy you will get used to but I don't think I can explain it very well, I don't feel I was ever meant to drive! Let alone on a motorway!!

so yeah.

we shall see!
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    patanne wrote: »
    Don't some driving schools now do motorway lessons? That might help you. Once you've done it once you'll wonder why you worried. I wouldn't recommend the M25 for your first try though.

OO didn't see your reply sorry,

had the motorway lessons, did cry but managed them! Didn't really help to be honest. I do not like it. All seems very unnatural!

XX
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    My oh really doesn't like driving but will do it when there's absolutely no alternative. This means that he therefore only drives when situations are generally already stressful e.g. 70 miles to get me home from knee surgery. He has agreed though to drive every few months just to keep his confidence or nerve. Maybe you should do the same re the motorway. Even at a quiet time. There'd be nothing so bad as having to do it because of an already pressurised situation. I'll shut up now :)
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Great list Buffy.

Cheers Beanie XXX :)
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Buffy like you said on my diary how spooky re the 100 day challenge! We both like this type of thing don't we? Challenges, lists, goals - lovely! Would be even better if I could actually see mine through! Good luck with yours.

It is spooky and I am convinced it is sign :) We shall achieve our goals SA Keep the faith, we can totally do this!

xxx
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    My oh really doesn't like driving but will do it when there's absolutely no alternative. This means that he therefore only drives when situations are generally already stressful e.g. 70 miles to get me home from knee surgery. He has agreed though to drive every few months just to keep his confidence or nerve. Maybe you should do the same re the motorway. Even at a quiet time. There'd be nothing so bad as having to do it because of an already pressurised situation. I'll shut up now :)

yeah, I am going to give it a go on a Sunday nights, very late on the way back from one of my friends. I am very good at finding alternatives though- am the B road queen!

Tell your OH I empathise! xx
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I don't. I too dislike driving but someone has to do it.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    I don't. I too dislike driving but someone has to do it.

Yeah, I get that, I think for me it is more of a fear, in fact it is a fear. I learnt to drive because I had to, it was never fun, I never ever looked forward to the lessons and I worked bloody hard to overcome the fear. I can drive to the nearest hospital and police station easily, I can drive to work and am ok on major roads. I haven't yet conquered motorways but it will take as long as it takes.

One thing I will say for driving, it is great when you need to take things to the charity shop or go to the dump :) how sad is that!
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffythedebtslayer Posts: 18,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2014 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Boring up date post :)

1.Write the last essay for Masters.....kind of forgot about it!

not even looked at it!

2.Finish my Tefl course

Ditto

3.De-clutter and reorganise the whole house.

Tackled the garden, it rained! but it is a start!

4. Be good at my job - be organised, confident.

have not even looked at the work!

5. Loose two stone. - make a start on this - dog walking and trying to eat as many whole foods as possible.

Gardening for exercise, had my three meals all good but tonight eek! popcorn and dolly mixtures and a bounty............

6. Drive on the motorway

not been anywhere!

7. Write. everyday.

yes I have

XX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income