Is PlayStation Plus worth it?

I'm waiting to receive my PS4 (arriving in mid Jan!) and have seen several references to 'PlayStation Plus'.

£40 for a years subscription seems reasonable if there are half decent games on offer.

Does anybody use it?
Are the features worth the cost?

KS :)

Replies

• Yes!

It's far far better value than Xbox Live (having used both)

The free games alone each month more than pays for it.

i.e. Just look at some of the games for next month:

http://youtu.be/WTpi7P8Pokc

Think there were over 64 free games last year and not just old junk either., some really good games.
    A smile costs nothing, but gives a lot.
    It enriches those who receive it without making poorer those who give it.
    A smile takes only a moment, but the memory of it can last forever.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    From what Ive seen of it Id say yes its worth it, better than what we get on the 360 and this is from a 360 owner. Some of the games you can get if you have PS plus are decent games. You might be able to get the subscription cheaper than £40 just by searching the net.
  • Totally worth it in my opinion especially as I have a ps3 and a vita.

By the way, a uk link would be better to ps plus http://uk.playstation.com/playstationplus/
  • burnleymik wrote: »
    Yes!

It's far far better value than Xbox Live (having used both)

The free games alone each month more than pays for it.

i.e. Just look at some of the games for next month:

http://youtu.be/WTpi7P8Pokc

Think there were over 64 free games last year and not just old junk either., some really good games.

Xbox Live have free games as well - granted not in the same volume as PSN, but still more than enough to offset the cost of subscription.

With PS4 it's not a question of if it's worth having Playstation Plus, more a case of "do I need it" - if you're not playing online it becomes is it worth it. The games given away last year though were a cracking assortment of games which if bought would likely have set you back a few bob!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • I love PS+

Such great games released on it! I have saved sooooo much money. I was going to buy a fair few of the games I downloaded (and some I just got cos they were free but still enjoyed them)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • ifstarifstar Forumite
    485 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Yes both xbox live and PS+ are worth the money however buy a code online rather than buy off your console as you can get them much cheaper.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Xbox Live have free games as well - granted not in the same volume as PSN, but still more than enough to offset the cost of subscription.

Yes granted you do get 2 free games a month on Live albeit a bit late.
  • techno12techno12 Forumite
    682 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    11448366794_f373d07ce0_k.jpg

Definitely worth it!!

Look out for offers on the subscription, eg I extended mine by 15 months for £30.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are going to want the free rental games then its worth it all day and can be better value again if you have a vita.

I will say the key difference has been microsoft have given away games where sony have given away rentals, I say this due to the fact if you cancel PS+ all the installed games will stop working, on the xbox they will work forever more.

With that as you now need ps+ to play online with a PS4 it is a bit of a no brainer.

The only better value would be PC, with free online play and uber cheap games on steam sales/humble hundle, but of course there is a higher cost to the machine and its not quite as plug and play (but not far off).
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Yeah you need PS+ to play any kind of online game modes (unless it's f2p).
    atm there's only 2 games on offer for PS4 but i'm sure more will come as the months go by.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum