Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2014

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    You should have written it differently then. You said that it was the class of travel at fault, not the route. This made me think you meant that economy class customers get what they paid for and, if that was unbearable temperatures, they should just put up with it.

Thats the same as i read it
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    I haven't but they are everywhere...looking at their website there is one store but a load of authorised retailers. If you search zip code 89109 you'll see a lot of results.

http://stores.yankeecandle.com/search

We bring back a lot of American food/baking stuff...we normally both get some clothes but not loads, I buy shoes as I struggle to find shoes my size here, fabric for quilts/crafts is far cheaper over there...sometimes electronics. Just depends on what we want/need at the time, really.

Must remember to ask you more about those stores next time I'm going. I buy baking stuff and some craft stuff, I bet you know some unusual shops for this stuff. I tend to shop for things like this at Michael's, Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby and Walmart.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Stoneman, would you mind elaborating on the Tesco and Amex thing?

We have Tesco credit card but we've been shopping more at Aldi, so I'm not sure we'd do that well from Tesco as we only spend about £20 or so in there a week now.

As for Amex, I don't have a clue so any hints appreciated.

We tend to fly with US Airways once a year though, so again I'm not sure we'd benefit as we have a need to fly out of Glasgow so less options. Our miles will merge with American soon though so who knows if we'll finally get that flight that constantly just gets out of reach each time we think we have enough points!!

Our other long haul the last couple of years has been with Emirates. Pity they don't all use the same points thing, we'd probably do better if our 'east' and 'west' miles could be combined. We enjoy the variety though, and the winter temperatures out east!
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Kit1,

Here's a map of the Las Vegas bus routes including the 203 service which Pebbles mentioned. The Strip is marked on the map as LV BLVD (Las Vegas Boulevard): http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/RTC_SystemMap_Oct2014.pdf
    Here's the bus service's web site: http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit

Here's Google Maps' StreetView outside an entrance to the WalMart on Rainbow Boulevard just south of that road's intersection with Spring Mountain Road (but there might be more convenient entrances). If you're not familiar with StreetView: you can turn and tilt the camera by dragging the image with the mouse; you can move along a road by clicking on the image or pressing the cursor keys on the keyboard or by dragging the yellow man icon on the map:
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=walmart&hl=en&ll=36.123577,-115.242977&spn=0.009966,0.021136&sll=36.121722,-115.238857&sspn=0.039865,0.084543&oq=walmart&t=m&radius=2.83&hq=walmart&z=16&layer=c&cbll=36.123687,-115.243085&panoid=dfgz7jaWWBELcCilw-xQDg&cbp=12,220.75,,0,1.64

Sorry, I don't know about the hop on hop off bus service(s?) but a Google search suggests that they're run by a different company. Here's one but there might be others:
    http://eng.bigbustours.com/lasvegas/home.html

Hope this helps a bit.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You should have written it differently then. You said that it was the class of travel at fault, not the route. This made me think you meant that economy class customers get what they paid for and, if that was unbearable temperatures, they should just put up with it.
    photome wrote: »
    Thats the same as i read it

Ok. Point taken. Apologies. What I was trying to say was don't be put off that route if you have enough points/miles/stickers/vouchers to do it in business.

lesley74 wrote: »
    Stoneman, would you mind elaborating on the Tesco and Amex thing?

We have Tesco credit card but we've been shopping more at Aldi, so I'm not sure we'd do that well from Tesco as we only spend about £20 or so in there a week now.

As for Amex, I don't have a clue so any hints appreciated.

We tend to fly with US Airways once a year though, so again I'm not sure we'd benefit as we have a need to fly out of Glasgow so less options. Our miles will merge with American soon though so who knows if we'll finally get that flight that constantly just gets out of reach each time we think we have enough points!!

Our other long haul the last couple of years has been with Emirates. Pity they don't all use the same points thing, we'd probably do better if our 'east' and 'west' miles could be combined. We enjoy the variety though, and the winter temperatures out east!

The short answer is to get an american express card with British Airways and you earn miles with your spend. You can also qualify for a 2-4-1 voucher with sufficient spend. Couple that with Tesco clubcard scheme and convert your tesco points to miles. Now you are building up miles that you use to buy or upgrade reward flights.

The long answer would go on for pages - easier to direct you to the headforpoints and flyer talk websites.

From Glasgow with BA you would need to change in Heathrow or Dublin (not sure if BA fly GLA to Dublin).

Splitting your flights between different alliances makes it harder to build enough points to get rewards. You should be looking to make all your flights with a One World airline to gather the points together.

It is all about combining points from different sources. So when we fly BA we pay for the tickets with our BA Amex, getting triple points on the Amex and points for the actual flight.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    And from memory, doesn't Stoneman by CDs etc at Tesco for bonus points, and ebay them and convert the points to Avios?

The whole airline points moneysaving probably deserves a section on the page 1 for the 2015 thread.....eg links to http://www.headforpoints.com/ Flyertalk and others. Maybe Silvercar and Stoneman would like to contribute to that new section?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • 21yrold
    21yrold Posts: 292 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2014 at 11:56AM
    Options
    I wouldn't turn down a section for grabbing cheaper seats etc, could be fun. I use my Natwest points card ATM, and its pretty poo for rewards, I might get a Amex for my usual spend etc, if its possible to build up points for flights then im more than happy!

I've read bits of that website, it appears the BA Amex would be best, I don't shop at Tesco.

The Amex gold card (£120 annual fee, in year 2) gives 20k of points when you spend £2k in the 1st 3 months, the BA (no annual fee) one only gives 9k if you spend £1k on it within 3 months?

I would have a guess for a lower user like myself, i just use my cards for fuel and big purchases etc the BA one would be better?
    Halifax loan - 6800 - 198 DD a month
    Barclay card 0% - £2000 - £150 DD a month
  • Dov_2
    Dov_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Dov wrote: »
    Hi folks looking for a bit of advice.
    Ive just booked up for myself and my wife -- 11th may for 7 nights - got a decent deal on flights, Thomas cook direct from Glasgow £600pp.

Just on the lookout for hotels at the moment, it will be my 3rd visit to Vegas so I know my way around. Anyone know of any good deals at PH , Bellagio, Cosmopolitan, or any other suggestions for this period??
    I am aware there is a big music festival on at this time called "Rock in Rio" which may suggest why hotel prices seem to be high.

Any help very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Dov

Just an update on this guys- I managed to swap my flights for 25th May for 7 nights free of charge. The cosmopolitan was around £1k cheaper for this week with flights only £200 more expensive. I'm still looking to get the best hotel deal and I have seen Cosmopolitan for £920 and Aria for £720-- would you guys recommend booking at this price or is it likely to fall??
    Ive also seen that Cosmo includes free breakfast in wicked spoon buffet for international guests which seems a pretty good addition, anyone had this deal?

Thanks
    Dov
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2014 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I've bought Samsung laptop, iPad, Nokia Smartphone, Surface 2 Pro, and a few other bits and pieces.
    I nearly went for the Surface Pro too, (until they announced the "2" release just before we went...!)

A couple of added factors to bear in mind for the OP are:
    - check you get worldwide warranty. I was weighing up the Asus T100 and the Surface Pro. Asus came with worldwide warranty, Surface Pro didn't
    - The Asus came with keyboard included, but obviously this was a US keyboard, and at the time I couldn't source any UK replacements so I would be stuck with it.

Pebbles - do you get on ok with the US keyboard on your Samsung, or did you manage to get it changed? (I know it's easier with laptops) :)
    Dov wrote: »
    I have seen Cosmopolitan for £920 and Aria for £720-- would you guys recommend booking at this price or is it likely to fall??
    Ive also seen that Cosmo includes free breakfast in wicked spoon buffet for international guests which seems a pretty good addition, anyone had this deal?
    Are those deals both going direct with the hotel? Also, what rooms are they for?

:)
  • Dov_2
    Dov_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Are those deals both going direct with the hotel? Also, what rooms are they for?

:)[/QUOTE]

No they are through Skyscanner and I've tried through booking.com too. Ive just based it on a standard room just now to get ideas. The prices direct from hotel are through the roof!!

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport