Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

TicketySplit feedback - official discussion - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search

TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

edited 18 December 2013 at 4:38PM in Public Transport & Cycling
262 replies 149K views

Replies

• On a trip to derby by eastcoast I was told by the guard that my next onward ticket needed to go through the ticket machine at the station so I had to get off use the ticket to get out and use the next ticket to get in.

I could not do this because it was the same train.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlanUdale wrote: »
    On a trip to derby by eastcoast I was told by the guard that my next onward ticket needed to go through the ticket machine at the station so I had to get off use the ticket to get out and use the next ticket to get in.

You were told wrong

But East Coast don't go to Derby anyway
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Stated Advance singles for 2 Stockport to Birmingham NS = £103.00

Via Tickety split -same Journey = £68.30 + booking fee £1.50 = £69.70

A saving of £33.30 :):)
    Or you can use TrainSplit, and pay £54, and it would add all the tickets to your basket in one go and give you a through itinerary.
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    AlanUdale wrote: »
    On a trip to derby by eastcoast I was told by the guard that my next onward ticket needed to go through the ticket machine at the station so I had to get off use the ticket to get out and use the next ticket to get in.

This was not East Coast. If you can say what trains you caught, we can at least determine the Company. Did you get the name of the Guard? Even if you didn't get the name, the Company can work it out if you provide the time and date and journey details.

You must report this to the right Company so that the Guard can be spoken to and given appropriate training.
  • I requested a suggested split on a route with has two alternatives - Frome to London Waterloo. I want to go via Westbury and Salisbury, but that is not an option, as you have no 'via' facility.
    Thus you fall into quoting for the most expensive route - the FGW route via Newbury. When asking Trainline - or any other ticket site, this always happens. The default setting is always the most expensive.
  • Managed to get tickets from Wolverhampton to Manchester saving over £20 or costing the same as the normal fare but travelling first class instead? Do I pass on the saving or spoil myself? such a dilemma!
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Managed to get tickets from Wolverhampton to Manchester saving over £20 or costing the same as the normal fare but travelling first class instead? Do I pass on the saving or spoil myself? such a dilemma!
    Take the tickets then swap with someone (e.g. pregnant woman) who looks like they need it more than you?
  • I appreciate you don't do returns but you really need to. Has Martin started a campaign yet to stop companies charging more for the same journey? Surely it should contravene some trading standards. For the uninitiated walking up and buying a ticket and being overcharged in effect is just wrong. David Cameron does not like the Energy companies doing it so why is he comfortable with some TOCs?
  • Hi All,

I've not had much luck through MSE's ticket splitting. I've also tried other websites (splitticketing, raileasy.trainsplit) which offer the same service but again it's not beaten the manual process.

My Journey:
    London -> Derby 24/12/14 17:00 onwards

The cheapest route is via Tamworth (as that's where two separate railway lines cross over - you just walk upstairs to pick up the next virgin train and trundle into Derby!).

Using the train line website and doing it manually I can get these costs:

london euston -> tamworth £15 24/12/14 17:57 -> 18:59
    tamworth -> derby £10.40 24/12/14 19:09 -> 19:33
    tamworth -> Derby £6.70 20:09 -> 20:34
    so cost is between £19.70 - £25.40

These are limited availability tickets but that shouldn't matter. What the ticket splittting engines seem to offer is a change via Tamworth (so that's ok) but the cost is at best £41.10 if not higher (the MSE was the cheapest)

Please could anyone give the ticket splitting sites a go incase I'm doing something wrong?

If no luck, then is there a contact / link to try to help the MSE site to improve it's database / systems?

Thanks in advance

Rodp
  • dp6305dp6305 Forumite
    5 posts
    downloaded app but doesn't work
    screen doesn't even show menu
    sent message to support 1 week ago and still no help
    Can anybody else help ?