DLA/ESA Christmas £10.

Options

Comments

• ani_26
    ani_26 Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    A whole £10!! I hope you all spent it wisely...

I would have spent mine on a small joint of turkey, had i received it.
    I am sure it used to be more? What happened whilst I was living overseas?

CHRISTMAS BONUS

In 1972, then prime minister Ted Heath introduced a £10 Christmas bonus for pensioners. It was worth £98 in today's money and was considerably more than the £6.75 a week basic state pension that pensioners of the time received.

Bizarrely, given the government's austerity drive this bonus still exists, and there are no plans to get rid of this Christmas present from the Treasury. But the money is still just £10, so it's nowhere near as generous as it was in Heath's day.

When it was launched by Ted Heath's Tory government in 1972, the bonus payment was worth £98 in today's money.

The £10 Christmas boost was then worth more than the £6.75 basic state pension.

The bonus has declined in real terms ever since it was introduced, apart from two years in the mid-1970s when it was suspended altogether by Labour PM Harold Wilson.

By the time Tony Blair and Gordon Brown came to power in 1997, it was worth £14 in today's money.

Quote: ''The measly Christmas bonus is a slap in the face for today's pensioners. What was once a valuable additional benefit is now nothing more than a joke.

''When it was brought in, a pensioner could buy Christmas dinner and still have money left over. Today it wouldn't even buy you the turkey.''

Ironically, buying turkey, was, exactly how i was going to spend my £10.

Maybe the government needs to decide whether they will abolish the payment completely, or bring it back in line with the economy of today. I'm sure they will abolish this, too. I may be poor, but even i, find it insulting # a joke.

After all, i've managed without it.

You just have to cut your cloth accordingly...............

To be honest, i'm more irked by the attitude of the member of staff at the jc+ than i am by the non payment. After all, it's normally paid the first week of december. I'll let you know when i receive it.
    Debt free - Is it a state of mind? a state of the Universe? or a state of the bank account?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
  • garfield413
    Options
    I got mine first week in December and also received the usual letter from DLA telling me it was going to be credited. It's always been £10 as far as I know.

James - I think you're right in that you should've only received one bonus :-)
    :hello:On mortgage pay off countdown. Less than 8 years to go. :j Won £50 Amazon voucher for filling in a survey, £100 shopping voucher, £20 Odeon voucher, £20 bowling voucher :T Doing a £2 terramundi jar challenge but everyone else seems to have the same challenge as there don't seem to be many £2 coins around!:p
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IT Has always been £10 not £19 and was introduced in the 70s not 80s
    i am blind and once i get it wrong it continues to go wrong! ;)

what you said is what i thought id said!
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    After much repeated chasing I gotmineyesterday, how much it fist in phone calls god only knows! What I do know I'd, if I audio them a month late, all he'll would break loose and they'd demand immediate correction plus interest.
  • Breast_Cancer_Survivor
    Options
    I didn't get mine this year & did phone them up but they maintain they have given it me even though it didn't actually get paid into my bank & I haven't had it :cool:
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • ani_26
    Options
    Breaking news....................

I finally received my £10 xmas bonus in a separate payment. :xmassign:

Why can't they get the simplest of payments correct? :think::doh:
    Debt free - Is it a state of mind? a state of the Universe? or a state of the bank account?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Hmm never did get mine either....
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • ani_26
    Options

Not quite a newbie as you think ;);)

Hi philnicandamy, how are you? :hello:

Well, i trust?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
  • tinkledom
    tinkledom Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options

Didn't get mine either as well as my half of the Winter Fuel Allowance. My wife received both of hers late November.

Don't fancy spending hours listening to taped music for an hour only to be transferred again. Will see what happens this year.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,711 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you got it at last ani :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure