We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

madbid

Options

Comments

• 2nd_mouse
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think you'll find that OlliesDad was being ironical. ;)

hmmm - so that's irony is it? I'm constantly amazed at what I can learn on the web. Thanks for the heads-up :beer:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    2nd_mouse wrote: »
    hmmm - so that's irony is it? I'm constantly amazed at what I can learn on the web.

Stick around - you might learn some more. :rotfl:
    2nd_mouse wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up :beer:
    You're most welcome. smiley-rolleyes010.gif
  • 2nd_mouse
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Stick around - you might learn some more. :rotfl:

You're most welcome.

Ok, we've had the irony. Is this now a hint of sarcasm? :)
  • Flower13
    Options
    I have just got stung by madbid's clever tricks too. Day before after reading an article online I registered myself on Mad bid too as I need an tablet and I though what could be better than grabbing a bargain. There is no mention on website that i am going to be charged every time I bid. And at the time of registering I just clicked without realising that I had to uncheck a box called rapid recharge which keep taking money out of your account everytime you run out. I agree that I didnt read T&C but if you are taking someones money you have got to be more clear and specific. They should've given me choice of checking box if I want to use recharge not other way round that they checked it for me. In my views My money was in my account till I buy or win something. At the end of the day when I realised I dont have any money in my account i checked the summary and found out they have charged me 4 times. I dont seem to have much option but I dont think its legal. I did ask for refund and I was emailed with the link to T&C. What are the suggestions?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Flower13 wrote: »
    I have just got stung by madbid's clever tricks too. Day before after reading an article online I registered myself on Mad bid too as I need an tablet and I though what could be better than grabbing a bargain. There is no mention on website that i am going to be charged every time I bid. And at the time of registering I just clicked without realising that I had to uncheck a box called rapid recharge which keep taking money out of your account everytime you run out. I agree that I didnt read T&C but if you are taking someones money you have got to be more clear and specific. They should've given me choice of checking box if I want to use recharge not other way round that they checked it for me. In my views My money was in my account till I buy or win something. At the end of the day when I realised I dont have any money in my account i checked the summary and found out they have charged me 4 times. I dont seem to have much option but I dont think its legal. I did ask for refund and I was emailed with the link to T&C. What are the suggestions?

Re the part in bold.

Turn it around.
    I think if you are subscribing/buying something on the internet, you need to read the T&Cs before you commit.
    You didn't. smiley-confused013.gif

If you don't think what Madbid did was legal, report them to the appropriate body.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Flower13 wrote: »
    There is no mention on website that i am going to be charged every time I bid. And at the time of registering I just clicked without realising that I had to uncheck a box called rapid recharge which keep taking money out of your account everytime you run out. I agree that I didnt read T&C

How can you say that something isn't mentioned if you clearly admit to not having read up on how the bidding process works?
    Each Auction will inform the Registered User how many Credits will be deducted per Bid. The number of Credits deducted per Bid ranges from 1 Credit to 8 Credits. After a Bid is processed by the Web Site, the number of Credits is deducted from the Registered User's account. Credits deducted cannot be returned
    to the Registered User. Free credits are used first. If the Regsitered User does not have any free Credits, the 'oldest' Paid Credits are used first.
  • cindy01
    cindy01 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I was almost about to sign up for madbid too after, reading a similar article. Just by chance stumbled on this MSE thread and am glad I did and saved myself from getting scammed.
  • ajh001
    ajh001 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Wish I'd read the MadBid threads before yesterday.... :(
    Madbid - STAY AWAY
    A few months ago I fell for a trial for some free credits & ended up buying £25 worth of credits which you then use to "bid" (GAMBLE) on an item - I decided to use them yesterday. HOWEVER what I wasn't aware of was the site automatically ticks a box, that's probably burried in the small print somewhere that I missed when registering which "allows" them to automatically top up your credits by £100 PER DAY :eek: direct from your bank /paypal account / credit card once your balance of credits drops below a certain level. I was stung for £75 before I got a text saying thank you for purchasing credits - which I wasn't aware I had!!!!!:eek:
    Fingers well and truely burnt - cancelled account immediately - called my bank and put charges into dispute......
    :eek:STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY:eek:
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    ajh001 wrote: »
    Wish I'd read the MadBid threads before yesterday.... :(
    Madbid - STAY AWAY
    A few months ago I fell for a trial for some free credits & ended up buying £25 worth of credits which you then use to "bid" (GAMBLE) on an item - I decided to use them yesterday. HOWEVER what I wasn't aware of was the site automatically ticks a box, that's probably burried in the small print somewhere that I missed when registering which "allows" them to automatically top up your credits by £100 PER DAY :eek: direct from your bank /paypal account / credit card once your balance of credits drops below a certain level. I was stung for £75 before I got a text saying thank you for purchasing credits - which I wasn't aware I had!!!!!:eek:
    Fingers well and truely burnt - cancelled account immediately - called my bank and put charges into dispute......
    :eek:STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY:eek:
    But surely you knew how many bids you had left
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Pre-ticked boxes have recently been outlawed.

If they did this, they are clearly breaking the law.

Get onto trading standards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport