Ladies let me ask you a question

Options

Comments

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    I'd think he doesn't know me at all! :D (Married over 30 years)
    [
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    I'd think he loved me!
    (but also it's not for the 40 year old me, or even the 20 year old me. I don't like it but also don't do hearts or fake: real diamonds or nothing remotely like them please.)
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.

I wasn't actually thinking of buying it...the lady in question likes silver....I was just interested to hear what you thought after I discovered this wonderful offer on Groupon :)

I'm sure if some of you thought it had cost 100 quid rather than 19 you wouldn't be so dismissive lol.

I've never heard of the stuff personally.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    I'm sure if some of you thought it had cost 100 quid rather than 19 you wouldn't be so dismissive lol.
    No, I'm sorry, I don't think that would make a difference.

My engagement ring was one of the cheapest in the shop, and it just had 'my' name on it. (None of this spending so many months' wages on it malarkey people ask about now - which is just as well as OH was unemployed at the time!) I believe it was over £60, but that was a long time ago now ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

I wasn't actually thinking of buying it...the lady in question likes silver....I was just interested to hear what you thought after I discovered this wonderful offer on Groupon :)

Cost doesn't come in to it, something to a persons taste which has been thoughtfully chosen means far more than an RRP.
    I and I suspect most other people would much rather something pretty which suits them for £20 than something sparkly and 'easy' to choose because "wimmins like bling and hearts" for £100.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • cazpumpkin
    Options
    Nice design, I like the heart and nothing wrong with Swarovski crystal BUT I wouldn't buy it myself as its plated metal , I like sterling silver or nothing.
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    without meaning to sound too shallow, if my boyfriend gave me a jewellery set that cost £19 from groupon, I wouldn't be chuffed.

but then again, he buys his shirts from Hugo Boss and will think nothing of spending £100 on a night out, so I guess it's all relative.

Whereas that wouldn't bother me in principle, although I've never seen any jewellery I like at that price come to think of it. I'd be pleased with the money savvy element, yet at £19 I don't think it could even be silver, and if it contains metal, I only wear silver, white gold or platinum jewellery.

I don't wear a lot of jewellery and am not really interested in acquiring more. What I wear has to be understated though and what I like tends to be increasingly expensive. Even the friendship bracelets I like are too expensive for what they are!
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It looks to me like a present from someone with no imagination whatsoever.
    Pants
  • arbroath_lass
    Options

Price is irrelevant. I'd be very annoyed if someone paid £100 for it - it's certainly not worth that IMO. I would be less annoyed if it was £19 but would have preferred they spent their money more wisely - they could have had sterling silver for that price.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't be fooled by the supposed RRP. It's not worth near that much, and will probably turn her neck green.

Whilst I wouldn't care how much a gift cost, what I would care about - and hate - is the assumption that I will be "fooled" by the bling, and to be given it by someone who'd go "she'll think I paid a hundred quid, I only paid twenty...Score!".

Don't give her something that's pretending to be something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure