Am I being fussy?

Options

Comments

• apricotcrush
    Options
    Please don't cut them off, you'll end up with holes. As mentioned above, use a darning or embroidery needle to draw the threads in between the fabric and the lining. If you don't have one, an older person you know will.

It's such a shame that these simple skills are being lost, I do repairs and alterations for my daughter and daughter-in-law. They can hardly sew on a button! :rotfl:
  • Liliya
    Liliya Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    As above, don't cut them off. These aren't loose threads or ends, they are an integral part of the fabric. Depending on the weave with something like this, the darning needle approach would be easiest if you can manage it to pull the thread through to the other side. Also with flaws such as this you can sometimes, with a bit of patience decrease the thread tension around the pull and even it back up (therefore decreasing the pull length and sometimes working it almost back into the fabric), although it never looks quite perfect.
  • flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    I think I've decided not to complain. I thought I might ask for a partial refund but it did only cost £4.80 (without postage) and I don't want to be awkward. I Think next time I'll only buy BNWT clothing to be on the safe side as there is too much variation in what I think is good condition and what others think.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    If you have any of those large sewing needles (they may be called "darning needles") which have a large eye hole and quite a blunt tip, you could try poking the threads back into the fabric of the coat.

Or if you have a slim knitting needle, it may do the trick?

(I realise that if you are under 45 years old, you've probably only seen the above items in a museum! :rotfl:)

or a very fine crochet needle pushed through from the back, hooked round the offending thread and pulled through to the back. To be honest, if I were selling this coat I would have tidied up these loose threads before I listed it - takes a good 2 minutes !

Personally I couldn't be bothered with a dispute claim, I'd keep it, tidy it up as above and probably leave neutral f/b.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know that you've said you won't complain but this is really for all the others who have suggested opening a dispute, if you're not happy with something please contact the seller first & let them at least try to out it right.
    Opening a dispute or leaving less than +Fb should really only be done if the seller us unhelpful.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    flashnazia wrote: »
    I Think next time I'll only buy BNWT clothing to be on the safe side as there is too much variation in what I think is good condition and what others think.

I figure that with what I am saving by buying 2nd hand I still come out ahead if a few items go straight to charity because of condition or more usually size.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • flashnazia
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.

I know I said I wasn't going to complain but it bugged me over the weekend so I have sent the seller an email (not opened case).
    I feel items like that shouldn't be sold on Ebay, they should go straight to the charity shop!
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • flashnazia
    Options
    e.g. look at this listing where s/he says:
    Lovely Ted Baker girl's coat, wool/acrylic, aged 7. Green with pink and purple patterned detail and a green and purple silky lining. Used and bobbling somewhat but still lots of wear in it. Great for winter.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ted-Baker-purple-and-green-girls-coat-wool-age-7-/231102984289?pt=UK_Kids_Coats_Jackets&hash=item35cecfb061

Sellers like that should be commended because they give an honest appraisal!
  • flashnazia
    Options
    This is what s/he said:

Hello

Thanks for letting me know you have received this coat. Are these threads on the back as I had a good look all over the coat before I sent it. This coat cost £44 pounds new and was only worn a few times and the price you paid was very reasonable. With this type of material it is quite common that threads might be pulled and all you need to do is pull them back through the other side, if this is not possible get a needle or safety pin and poke them into behind the material, the coat will then be fine as the thread will not run. Hope that helps.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TBH if the threads are really obvious with a response like that I'd return it lol

She must of sent it knowing they are their and instead of being honest has decided to deny it...what difference does it matter if they are on the back if she had a good look over? What is a 'good look over' if you just glance at the front?
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure