Am I being fussy?

Options
flashnazia
flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
I bought a child's coat on ebay. Despatched quickly so no problem there however the coat has got a few imperfections that were not mentioned in the listing:

11120266735_6c33425550_m.jpg

11120335984_667183562d_m.jpg

11120310146_cc80edabea_m.jpg

11120354424_6f5837699d_m.jpg
The cost was £3 + £4.80.

Would you complain or am I being fussy?
"fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pics dont work hun :-)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • flashnazia
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Pics dont work hun :-)

I know. Picture wouldn't load for some reason ;). Should be ok now.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's the trouble with buying clothes on Ebay, your idea of "good condition" may not be the same as the seller's.

Can the threads be pulled back into the fabric? If so, it wouldn't worry me too much, it looks clean and in quite good condition otherwise. If the pulled threads have left holes in the coat then I probably wouldn't be happy. But then again, the postage is more than the cost of the coat and you may have to fight to get that back if it was sold by a private seller.

It's pot luck really, isn't it? I just bought a leather coat for around £16 (incl the postage) and it was immaculate, and it fits perfectly! :j

Then again, I recently got a leather bag for a bargain price of £3. When I received it, I saw the label which said "PU Leather" (i.e plastic!)...I was a bit cross but I couldn't be bothered to moan, for a few quid, it wasn't really worth it. I still use the bag anyway!

It is a pretty coat though!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • flashnazia
    Options
    I should have said, the postage was 3 quid.
    I've tried to pull the threads into the inside of the coat but can't. I'm afraid of cutting them off in case It makes it worse.
    I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to complain if I'm being a fuss pot!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have any of those large sewing needles (they may be called "darning needles") which have a large eye hole and quite a blunt tip, you could try poking the threads back into the fabric of the coat.

Or if you have a slim knitting needle, it may do the trick?

(I realise that if you are under 45 years old, you've probably only seen the above items in a museum! :rotfl:)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could open a item not as describe case, you would then have to return the coat and you will get a full refund (cost plus postage paid). However you would need to pay the return postage, (recorded to be on the safe side). You can work out yourself how much this would cost you, if it costs for example £4 to return you will be in credit by £3.80. Therefore you have to ask yourself is the coat worth keeping for £3.80? my guess is it is.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    If the threads are not long enough put your needle through the fabric before you thread it (pull any lining away so your needle/loose threads doesnt go through) then thread it and pull it through between the lining and outer fabric.

If this doesnt work I would email the seller and see what they say.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sold a £120 pair of jeans for £30. Marked as worn. Buyer complained about a tiny pull of cotton such as that in the photo. Told buyer I was very sorry and to return and I would refund them in full. Returned them. Refunded them plus cost of returning. Cut the thread off. Resold them to losing bidder through second chance offer. She sent me a message saying how pleased she was and what a bargain.

If you complain or open a not as described case the seller or Ebay will tell you to return. There is no guarantee you will be refunded your return postage costs.

So really I think you have to decide how much that piece of thread really matters. If the item had been new then it would be completely different but if you are buying second hand clothes you can't really expect the item to be perfect.
  • flashnazia
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I sold a £120 pair of jeans for £30. Marked as worn. Buyer complained about a tiny pull of cotton such as that in the photo. Told buyer I was very sorry and to return and I would refund them in full. Returned them. Refunded them plus cost of returning. Cut the thread off. Resold them to losing bidder through second chance offer. She sent me a message saying how pleased she was and what a bargain.

If you complain or open a not as described case the seller or Ebay will tell you to return. There is no guarantee you will be refunded your return postage costs.

So really I think you have to decide how much that piece of thread really matters. If the item had been new then it would be completely different but if you are buying second hand clothes you can't really expect the item to be perfect.

It's actually in 3 different places.
    In a next coat so maybe I should be happy with it. I just wish she'd mentioned it in the listing that's all.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree many people would have just cut the thread off and you wouldn't have known.nice coat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure