🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lloyds bank asking for employment information

Options

Comments

• davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just logged into Lloyds internet banking and been asked for the same thing. I updated my details as requested
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    davethorp wrote: »
    I've just logged into Lloyds internet banking and been asked for the same thing. I updated my details as requested

Me too, this has come up on both lloyds and halifax online banking this afternoon for me.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £925.03 overpaid as at May 2024 so YTD = £925.03 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,317.21
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Its know your customer - a regulatory requirement.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    As you're self-employed, your net profit IS your income. If you draw money for yourself regularly eg monthly, then that's the frequency of your income payments.

It looks as though those questions are generic so they don't apply, precisely, to the self-employed in the same way as an employee.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2013 at 1:17PM
    Options
    As you're self-employed, your net profit IS your income. If you draw money for yourself regularly eg monthly, then that's the frequency of your income payments.

It looks as though those questions are generic so they don't apply, precisely, to the self-employed in the same way as an employee.

That's my problem - I was worried that if I said that my net income was £12K annually, paid monthly, they would expect to see £1000 going into my account per month. What I wanted to say was that my net income was between £10-£20K, paid now and again - maybe £0 some months, maybe £3K others, and that didn't fit any of their boxes!

BTW I've just seen a thread on a forum for other freelancers like me, and it seems very common to use a personal current account rather than a business account in our situation, and nobody has had a problem with it.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    That's my problem - I was worried that if I said that my net income was £12K annually, paid monthly, they would expect to see £1000 going into my account per month.

They shouldn't do - as for all they know, some or all of your income is paid to another account.

They aren't asking how much you'll pay into your Lloyds account, but just what is your total income.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    They shouldn't do - as for all they know, some or all of your income is paid to another account.

They aren't asking how much you'll pay into your Lloyds account, but just what is your total income.
    Another way of looking at it is that if you said you had an annual salary of £12k or approx. £1000 per month and you suddenly started to pay say £5k per month do you think you were acting suspiciously or not?
    The bank would need to know where the extra came from.
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    Another way of looking at it is that if you said you had an annual salary of £12k or approx. £1000 per month and you suddenly started to pay say £5k per month do you think you were acting suspiciously or not?
    The bank would need to know where the extra came from.

But I don't have a fixed annual salary of any amount, so I could quite legitimately get an excellent new client and start paying in £5K per month from now on. As it stands my annual profit has varied by probably £10K if you look at the last five years. That's why I worry that telling them a figure as if it is a fixed amount is potentially misleading.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    ........as is running your business takings through a personal account.
    I suspect this is the real problem you will have.
  • tyllwyd
    edited 1 December 2013 at 6:41PM
    Options
    ........as is running your business takings through a personal account.
    I suspect this is the real problem you will have.

Its really not a big deal. If I had a separate account, all I would do is pay the business cheques into that account then transfer the money straight into my personal account. I'd have exactly the same pattern of money in and almost exactly the same money going out (bar my business expenses of a few hundred a year on printer toner and a few realms of paper). I'm a sole trader working part time from my pc in the spare bedroom, no retail, no stock, no cash, nowhere near the VAT threshold, nothing like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport