Does anyone know how to make candles?

I've been asked for a candle making set for Christmas and I don't want to get a rubbish one!

Does anyone out there make them and can you offer any advice?
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Comments

• Buy one from Argos, making candles is much of a muchness!! It involves the same things, melt your wax, prepare your wick and pour the candle. A craft kit from Argos/WH Smith etc is as good as it gets!! You rarely get a choice of moulds with them you just make whatever's in the box.
  • Depending on your budget and the age of the person you're buying for there are a couple of options:

As glynisrose says, those candle kits from Argos are great as an introduction. I started off on these when I was 12ish. They range from c£7 to £15.

I've recently got back into candle making (I'm 30 now :eek:) and there are so many options out there now. Check out eBay for beginner kits for container candles, if they prefer Eco friendly bits and bobs there are some great soy candle starter kits. These kits generally come with wax (soy or paraffin container wax), tins/jars, dye, wicks, thermometer! pouring jug and fragrance. These retail for £20 - £30+.

I've done away with kits now and purchase the bits and pieces separately as and when I need them.
    I have a simple philosophy:
    Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Ebay have a fantastic range of bits for candle making, I want to try a slight variation and use crayons seen lots of tutorials on you tube and my girls have loads of crayons they dont use anymore
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • The Range do a small candle making kit for £9.99 and a larger one for £12.99. You can buy in store or online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure