Free Hot drink and cake every month @ John Lewis

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jyeom12 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, this is a freebie, so I'm really not sure why people are complaining about short dates and queues.

The free hot drink and cake coupon is a *privilege*, not an entitlement, so if either of these things are inconvenient, you don't have to redeem your voucher.

This probably won't be a popular reply, but it just seems bizarre to me that people are rather looking this gift horse in the mouth!

Maybe because John Lewis makes promises that it simply doesn't keep? Like the promise on this still current page that these vouchers will be sent out "at least three times a year":

http://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/my-john-lewis

Or the 'Never Knowingly Undersold' lie.

Or other half-truths like the Waitrose 'all butter' mince pies containing palm oil?
  • Gizmo-macca
    Options
    to be fair, if you think anyone in retail isn't going to tell you a pack of lies, you are in noddy land.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Maybe because John Lewis makes promises that it simply doesn't keep? Like the promise on this still current page that these vouchers will be sent out "at least three times a year":

http://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/my-john-lewis

Or the 'Never Knowingly Undersold' lie.

Or other half-truths like the Waitrose 'all butter' mince pies containing palm oil?

Why do you continue to shop in a store that (repeatedly) offends you so much?
  • Ladybird2
    Options
    For 18 months I had not received any vouchers despite John Lewis assuring me that my preferences were fine on my account.

I looked in my Waitrose account and the preferences set there were for no mailings from John Lewis!!

It might be worth checking your Waitrose account if you have not received any vouchers.
  • Locky
    Locky Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ladybird2 wrote: »
    For 18 months I had not received any vouchers despite John Lewis assuring me that my preferences were fine on my account.

I looked in my Waitrose account and the preferences set there were for no mailings from John Lewis!!

It might be worth checking your Waitrose account if you have not received any vouchers.

I had this happen to me a few years ago after I was made to change my JL password when I logged in one day. It automatically set my preference to receive no communication from JL and dumped me out of their club! I emailed and asked to be reinstated but haven't received regular mailings since.
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Locky wrote: »
    I had this happen to me a few years ago after I was made to change my JL password when I logged in one day. It automatically set my preference to receive no communication from JL and dumped me out of their club! I emailed and asked to be reinstated but haven't received regular mailings since.

This has happened to me a couple of times, the most recent time last summer I rang 3 times chasing 'cos I'd not had vouchers yet it was only on the third call I was told I'm unsubscribed even though I still continued to receive the emails???
    At no point have I ever changed my preferences.

It seems hit and miss dependant on who you get through to, I think the first couple of calls they were fobbing me off.
  • Locky
    Locky Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which number are you phoning?

I was told these details:

'If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact them at MYJL@johnlewis.co.uk or on telephone number 03456 100312. Lines are open between 8am and 9pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm Saturday, 10am to 6pm Sunday, where a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.'
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did anybody have the £5 giftcard when you spend £50 online or instore voucher with the mailing in the autumn. Valid 29th October and 5th December. I used mine on 5th December, it said the gift card would come in the post in 28 days. Late January I remembered I hadn't had this, so contacted customer services who apologised, offered to credit my online account immediately with £5 or send another gift card within 28 days. Not knowing when I'd be shopping online again, I asked for the posted gift card. We're now at 24 days since the contact with JL CS, and still no sign of it. I'll give it until 28 days and contact them again, but I just wanted to check to see if others had received their vouchers, or whether this was a larger problem than just mine.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Did anybody have the £5 giftcard when you spend £50 online or instore voucher with the mailing in the autumn. Valid 29th October and 5th December. I used mine on 5th December, it said the gift card would come in the post in 28 days. Late January I remembered I hadn't had this, so contacted customer services who apologised, offered to credit my online account immediately with £5 or send another gift card within 28 days. Not knowing when I'd be shopping online again, I asked for the posted gift card. We're now at 24 days since the contact with JL CS, and still no sign of it. I'll give it until 28 days and contact them again, but I just wanted to check to see if others had received their vouchers, or whether this was a larger problem than just mine.

Yep, they do this to me. Every time I have to repeatedly chase for the vouchers. I think it's deliberate tactics. Although they do increase the amount to £10 if it drags on for long enough.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well if I don't get my voucher I'll complain to the ASA.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport