🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NS&I 5 year index linked saving certs 2011 issue - half way point!

Options

Comments

• 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Although I hope you are right regarding EU vote, I doubt it, people are being scared witless .
    So hedging your Bets on Currency, is like putting a bet on the outcome of the vote;You would be better going to the bookies and taking a punt on the outcome, each way of course:-)
    Sleepless nights, not like NS&I Bonds.:)
    Currency is short term, leave it to the experts.:cool:

I need a way of making my money work smarter... Zopa ISA is the next thing on my list, but there is mega money to be made with the currency fluctuations we are going to see over the next 6-12 months.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »
    I need a way of making my money work smarter... Zopa ISA is the next thing on my list, but there is mega money to be made with the currency fluctuations we are going to see over the next 6-12 months.

...but there will also be currency traders jumping off high buildings when they get it wrong:(
  • oftm
    oftm Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I remember I tried currency trading. Lost 200 quid in about 5 seconds. Never tried it again.:o
  • oftm
    oftm Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I got 17263.72 on my closing statement. Was a good investment but needed some of it for a mortgage overpayment and other things.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am actually looking at how I could hedge against this by buying some sort of foreign currency
    Why not just drop a load at Betfair, 4/1 will give you a better return than faffing about with FX
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    I think we are going to get an unexpected last minute swing to the NO's for Europe which will shock the Pound and the FTSE.
    About a month to the vote so just sit on the cash and use the "shock" as a buying opportunity.
  • Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My money hit my nominated account yesterday :T
    I'm happy that I did that 5 year investment but it would take a good deal at my age (57) to make me want to tie up my money again for 5 years, I would rather have it available to me even at the prospect of current low interest rates.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kered wrote: »
    I'm happy that I did that 5 year investment but it would take a good deal at my age (57) to make me want to tie up my money again for 5 years, I would rather have it available to me even at the prospect of current low interest rates.

Closing a 5-year renewal ILSC on any anniversary is almost penalty-free.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oftm wrote: »
    I remember I tried currency trading. Lost 200 quid in about 5 seconds. Never tried it again.:o

I did some trading on a dummy system (with live data) about 10 years ago. I think that I started with £1,000 and for a few days I had fun with it. Some of my trades made a small profit and others lost and I had just over £900 left when I was getting bored of it so I did one last cable trade and forgot about it completely.

A week or two later I had an email from the company telling me that my test period was about to come to an end so I logged on only to find that I was around £230k in profit. I have no skill in trading and have no desire to try it for real but it did give the traders at work something to laugh at.

Had I done that for real money there's no way on earth I'd have let it get past a couple of hundred before bailing out.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I read it, if I reinvest, although it is a 5yr investment, in real terms it is only a year at a time investment.

What I mean is the penalty is 90 days interest at 0.01% which is pennies. You only lose the RPI gain if you withdraw during a year?

Am I right in this understanding?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family