We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NS&I 5 year index linked saving certs 2011 issue - half way point!

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 May 2016 at 9:53AM
    Options
    bertsilver wrote: »
    Is there any cash ISA's that have a better return?

Difficult to make fair comparison as the bank accounts are all instant access and the overwhelming majority of cash ISAs aren't. The best of the instant access cash ISAs offer about 1% tax-free. 5% AER from TSB Classic Plus and Nationwide FlexDirect bank accounts yield 4% to a basic rate taxpayer, 3% to a higher rate taxpayer. At the moment, Punjab offers 2.5% on a cash ISA - but that is for a five year yerm.
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    OK guys. I put £11k in NS&I index-linked and it's due to mature now.
    Total £13,342 which is just under 2% a year.

I have the option to renew for 3 or 5 years at index linking + 0.01% but I'm guessing it wont be worth it.....

In other news I've filled up Santander 123, 2x Lloyds accounts, 3x Halifax, have £20k+ in shares - anyway, I'm basically going to have £13k I don't know where to put (and in fact I have another £6k right now and adding every month) - what on earth do I do with this cash??
  • bertsilver
    bertsilver Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Difficult to make fair comparison as the bank accounts are all instant access and the overwhelming majority of cash ISAs aren't. The best of the instant access cash ISAs offer about 1% tax-free. 5% AER from TSB Classic Plus and Nationwide FlexDirect bank accounts yield 4% to a basic rate taxpayer, 3% to a higher rate taxpayer. At the moment, Punjab offers 2.5% on a cash ISA - but that is for a five year yerm.

So if I roll over I get 0.01%, what would an ISA rate be for the same return?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 May 2016 at 9:50AM
    Options
    bertsilver wrote: »
    So if I roll over I get 0.01%, what would an ISA rate be for the same return?

You get "RPI" plus 0.01%. So, currently 1.33%
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    You get "RPI" plus 0.01%. So, currently 1.33%
    Obviously always bearing in mind that is looking backwards and you won't necessarily get a return of 1.3% pa plus the coupon at the end of a year or at the end of five years - any more than the final return was to match the 5.20% RPI figure that was published in May 2011 (despite the implied suggestion that it would in the MSE newsletter at the time).

In some ways though the return on the certs is more predictable than variable or fixed ISA rates. *If* RPI can taken as a true measure of inflation then the real return on the certificates will be 0.01%. If CPI is a more accurate measure then the real return is likely to be a bit more. As for the real return on ISA rates over the next 5 years, who knows.

In the end, whether someone should hold or fold depends on what they want to achieve and how IL certs fit in with their other savings and investments.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OK guys. I put £11k in NS&I index-linked and it's due to mature now.
    Total £13,342 which is just under 2% a year.

I have the option to renew for 3 or 5 years at index linking + 0.01% but I'm guessing it wont be worth it.....

In other news I've filled up Santander 123, 2x Lloyds accounts, 3x Halifax, have £20k+ in shares - anyway, I'm basically going to have £13k I don't know where to put (and in fact I have another £6k right now and adding every month) - what on earth do I do with this cash??

Nationwide
    TSB
    BoS
    Tesco
    Various regular savers
    Pension
    S&S ISA
  • guitarman001
    Options
    Used to have Nationwide, guess I could open another one. That deals with only £2.5k.

TSB & Halifax I've loaded up on.

Tesco - will look into it.
    Lloyds - need to have 2 direct debits and I have no more :(

Already contribute 10% into company pension - wanted rest for house savings (so no risky shares).

Regular savers - any decent ones? Not worth it for higher rate payers?

When you start going over £60k or so there's nowhere to put the money :(
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Used to have Nationwide, guess I could open another one. That deals with only £2.5k.

TSB & Halifax I've loaded up on.

Tesco - will look into it.
    Lloyds - need to have 2 direct debits and I have no more :(

Already contribute 10% into company pension - wanted rest for house savings (so no risky shares).

Regular savers - any decent ones? Not worth it for higher rate payers?

When you start going over £60k or so there's nowhere to put the money :(

Halifax? Do you mean BoS Vantage x 3?

DDs - easy to solve loads of information on this & Budgeting & Bank A/cs boards

Regular savers - several @ 6%, 5% etc (post 5)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=608697
  • guitarman001
    Options
    Sorry yes, I meant BoS x3 :)

5/6% regular savers? I'll check the link later on -thank you!
  • guitarman001
    Options
    Checked some of those out.
    Still only £200-500 a month and you have to fully switch account so can't have them all. Definitely sucks to be holding cash right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure