We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Porridge Oats - Which are best?

1235»

Comments

  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Mum used to make us kids porridge and i would almost guarantee that they would have been the cheapest! As far as i remember they tasted great, enhanced by a large dollop of condensed milk swirled in just before serving!!
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

    Chinese Proverb


  • A vote here for Flavahans Organic Jumbo porridge oats, you can get them from amazon. I've loved this brand for ages. I make it with water and the end result is creamy and lovely.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CFJ3466/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2013 at 9:37PM
    A vote here for Flavahans Organic Jumbo porridge oats, you can get them from amazon. I've loved this brand for ages. I make it with water and the end result is creamy and lovely.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CFJ3466/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shopping/findproducts.aspx?query=flahavan's&sort=ppu&store=ASDA

    You can get flahavans in all the supermarkets too, even the jumbo ones.


    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shopping/findproducts.aspx?query=flahavan's&sort=ppu&store=Waitrose
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    i normally use value and they are ok..have just got a bag of the flavens and they were great in some flapjacks
    onwards and upwards
  • I must admit that I don't like jumbo oats as they don't seem to go creamy enough IMO. I love Flahavans oats when I can get them at a good price, but Aldi are lovely and so are mornflake.

    I never make porridge in a microwave - my Mum, who was Scottish, always made porridge with one cup of porridge, a cup of whole milk, a cup of water and a good pinch of salt - always made in a pan and left to stand for about 5 minutes after taking off the heat. We always had it with top of the milk and sugar sprinkled on, but now I use evap and sweetner (although I use sugar sometimes!)

    I don't like anything in my porridge like dried fruit or the like, and it HAS to have salt in it or I think it tastes horrible!
    Jane

    ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,110
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I use Jordans chunky porridge and use a 200ml cup of porridge and 250ml of semi-skimmed milk and 250ml of water. I bring it to the boil and then stir for 5 minutes. I eat it with honey and whole almonds.
  • TheJC
    TheJC Posts: 18 Forumite
    I'm currently going through oats to see if I can discern any difference between the Scottish type oats to make some savings for when the regular ones are slightly more expensive (i.e. > 10p/100g) and have had better luck than trying to find ground cinnamon that smells/tastes as good as Schwartz.

    Previously I either bought Taste the Difference (rolled) or Tesco Scottish depending on which type I was in the mood for, currently working my way through a bag of Smart Price which doesn't seem to be any different than Tesco Scottish and my next bag is Everyday Value.

    I make mine in the microwave with 50 grams oats, 308 grams (~300 ml) goats milk, and a teaspoon of cinnamon (800W, 2 minutes, stir, 2 minutes; 4 minutes for Taste the Difference IIRC). Then I chuck some fruit in it (so far used bananas, raisins, diced apple, grapes).

    Unless each bowl worth of oats in this bag have been different, I believe that if I put the oats, milk, and cinnamon in the bowl and leave it for 15-30+ minutes before cooking I tend to get thicker porridge than if I stick it in the microwave straight away.

    I'd say try soaking them in the saucepan for a bit before turning on the hob, but I can't rule out my differing results may also be down to starting temperature of liquid, time spent stirring halfway through, and time between cooking and consumption.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,102
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Flahavens for us. I am Scottish and brought up on the stuff but I will never change from this brand now. So creamy. I have only ever made it with normal milk though. You can but it in Asda and other supermarkets. Ten out of ten from me.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.