PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• want2Bfrugal
    Options
    Approaching the last week of Nov and I have done well - thanks to the challenge - and I have come in under budget so far by £100.

Have manage to do this by eating stuff out of the freezer and walking past the bargains/YS when shopping.

Walking past YS, I can hear the cries. Yes, I made this conscious decision as I realise that I have got in this situation (full freezer, spending too much) because I was not eating the stuff that went into my freezer first and was dazzled by the bargains every time I went shopping. My Bad, a very full freezer and high shopping bills.

Glad to report that as I am making every effort (it's been hard) to eat what I have first and then buy what I need even if it means walking past YS for now.

When I can control my magpie tendencies I can start buying YS but in moderation. Do not want to slip back into my bad habits.

Thank you everyone and the challenge. I hope by the new year I will be reporting that my freezer has a frequent stock turnover and I'm buying YS to reduce spending even further.
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2013 at 4:09PM
    Options
    Good afternoon to all!
    just reporting my menu for the week on the last week of this months challenge - will come in under this month so plan on increasing my budget to £200 for December to include Christmas day food with my sister as we are sharing this year. Have really enjoyed the month even though it has been tough my freezers are now under control and it has had a knock on effect of being more organised with other areas in the house, have decluttered and cleared cupboards and started a donation box for the food bank to give a little back, donated some bedding and towels to the Philippines appeal and generally quite positive about my finances in the coming month.
    Sorry I digress
    Sunday - Roast chicken leg dinner (hope noone asks where I got a four legged chicken! They were YS at £1.25)
    Monday - Shepherds pie with veggies (its on the go at the moment and only used 250g steak mince with a tablespoon of dry stuffing and grated carrots for extra padding)
    Tuesday - Pasta carbonara with HM garlic bread
    Wednesday - Toad in the hole with veggies (65p Richmond ones)
    Thursday - YS peppered steak pie 89p x 2 with jacket potatoes and veggies
    Friday - Grilled mackerel with salad and potatoes
    Saturday - Slow roast ham hock with lentils and root vegetables
    hopefully that will be it on the spending front but never say never...

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday

F x
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    £12.39 spent today in Lidls and Morrisons. I got 2 packs of the half price mince in morrisons and a pack of baby wipes. In Lidls I got 2 packs of the half price pork shanks, rinse aid, dog food and cat food. I have £31.98 left to last 4 days. £15 of that will be spent on dog food. Hoping to come in under budget again and I can't see how we'll go over as we have plenty in, we'll just need some fresh bits.

We are having chicken korma, rice, naan bread and poppadoms tonight using leftover chicken. I'll also be making a chicken, leek, potato and carrot soup.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Bookworm42
    Options
    Small spend of £4.30 in Mr T for paper and bread ready for sandwiches for Monday. Happy to be under budget for the month at the moment. Just off to meal plan for the week. Got lots of fish in the freezer so I might make a fish pie. Really want to defrost the freezer next weekend ready for some Christmas goodies.
  • Nelly11
    Nelly11 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    My last day today, Ive come under budget by approx 35.00, thrilled! Now I need to seek out the December thread. This is going to be a tough one.
    Barclay card £4,024/£0 0%interest
    HMRC £3,456/£0 0% interest
    Blackhorse £2763/£0 0% interest
    HMRC2 £397/£0 0% interest
    Credit card £1400/£0 29% interest
    Save all loose change 2018 total =
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    A spend of £4.19 today on soap powder and a piece of ys fish. I will update my signature soon.

Dinner will a curry made with the fish and bits of vegetables that need used up.

Congratulations on your new job Annie99 :j
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • First_Trouble
    Options
    [QUOTE=Thanks for the link ! I had the same problem with DH until I said that unless he justified the 'extras' he had to pay for them out of his own budget. Haha it seems to have worked so far

A little shopping today for DS mainly so Mr A £16.25 and Mar*s for £3.58. Added to total. WHY are the smilies not working?

Hope you all have a good weekend
    Lx[/QUOTE]

I have already banned him from coming on the big food shop with me as we always end up spending huge amounts. :)
    That voice in your head that says you can’t do this is a LIAR!

Debt Free - January 2021 :D
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco have a good deal on whole chickens from tomorrow. £6 bogof :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today. Used up some chicken breasts out of the freezer and we had them today with cauli & broccoli cheese, roast potatoes, tomato and onions. Then made a bread & butter pudding using up the last few pieces of bread that had been in a few days and a couple of eggs that were past their date. Delicious.

001_zpsfef84e81.jpg
    003_zps75c3f046.jpg
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    spent £6,52 today (£4 on 960 YS Yorkshire teabags--will last me ages)
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure