PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Hi, got some carrot tops, want to use but not pesto, would like to use store cupboard ingredients, have potatoes, onions, courgettes, peas, sweetcorn and a pointy cabbage. Have almost emptied one freezer so am trying hard. Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks

Googled and found this:

Carrot Top and Potato Soup
    600ml/1 pint vegetarian stock
    ½ onion, peeled, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped
    1 bunch green carrot tops, chopped
    1 star anise
    ½ potato, peeled, chopped
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)

Pour the stock into a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and add the onion, garlic, carrot tops, star anise and potato. Season to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    Reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Remove the star anise. Roughly blend the remaining mixture with a blender.
    Top with a tsp of Dijon mustard, if desired.
  • moneypicapica
    moneypicapica Posts: 11 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 June 2014 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Googled and found this:

Carrot Top and Potato Soup
    600ml/1 pint vegetarian stock
    Hi,

sorry, but i just had to LOL. Vegetarian stock? The name of stock usually indicates what it's being made of, like beef stock, chicken stock, vegetable stock, fish stock.....
    But, stock made of vegetarians? Interesting option, but I'd call it cannibalism!:rotfl:

Sorry, I mean no offense and the recipe sounds yummy.
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    Older where are you?

How was Wimbledon? did you take a brolly?

So I went to the japan centre to get the kit kats, they were £14.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no typo, I genuinely thought the ticket was a mistake, so I looked somewhere else, but nope that was the actual price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Morning all :)

Ms NR, those Kitkats are a shocking price aren't they, I just couldn't stand the thought of there being a chocolate that I hadn't eaten so had to buy them! I found an on-line place that sells them individually, but for £1.30 for each tiny little bar :eek:

Had a fantastic day at Wimbledon and the rain held off for us so we stayed on Court until the Murray match and then watched that one from the Hill. Lovely time, and I ate my own bodyweight in snacks throughout the day but they were bargains from the supermarket, and fairly healthy so that's OK.

My monthly grocery shop is due to be delivered any minute now, and then I'm off to our local foodie market to get fresh bread and some other bits so hopefully no more shopping needed for at least a fortnight. Stocked up on my basics (tuna, sardines, coffee etc) at C*stco earlier this week so fridge and cupboards bulging again :rotfl:

Hope you're all having a relaxing weekend
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Hi all,

Lunch was the leftover salad from last week with some really lovely soft cheese and freshly baked bread from the street market this morning. Gorgeous.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0754_zps32da28cb.jpg

I got a tangy blue cheese as well so will have that with yet more leftover salad and some more bread tomorrow (and Tuesday and Wednesday!). Bread and cheese is a rare treat for me as I lose all control with it and can happily eat until bursting point. Luckily the bread was being sold in half loaves and the cheese in very small blocks so I can't do too much damage.

Had a strange/homemade fish pie for supper (basically a cod steak in parsley sauce to which I added peas and a bit of mashed potato). Didn't take a photo as it would probably put you off your own supper :rotfl: Was reasonably tasty although it would have been better with some seasoning.
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    Lol older your fish pie sounds nice.

your photo looks like it belongs to kirri, were the kit kats noce? did you savour them? lol.

I love bread to, esp those artesian loaves
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Older_But_Not_Wiser Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2014 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Hi all :)

Sorry to have gone a a bit quiet, just haven't been making meals as such recently as I'm glued to the tennis (watching Nadal at the mo but at least another two sets to go!). Between the tennis and the garden makeover which is my current project, the time seems to just disappear.

Lunch is still bread and cheese with salad and suppers have been fairly dull too (chicken and roasted veg last night, probably an omelette or scrambled eggs tonight). Had every intention of making a curry of sorts this evening but somehow I haven't quite got around to it :o Maybe tomorrow.

EDIT:
    Change of plan, decided to make the curry anyway (although I'm not hungry and it won't be ready until 9.30ish) but at least I'll just have to reheat it over the next few days.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0756_zpsf22abab3.jpg
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    It's very quiet around here, have you all gone on your holidays?

Lunch today was more salad, cheese and bread and dinner was the curry I made last night plus a very tangy salad/relish. Delicious, really woke up my tastebuds.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0758_zps11f920d8.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0759_zpsddf3b1b3.jpg

Made enough curry to last for at least three more meals, and still have enough bread, cheese and salad for a couple of days so hopefully I won't need to do any more cooking this week :)

Hope you are all out and about enjoying yourselves.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    your photo looks like it belongs to kirri

Lol it does a lot!
    I could quite eat a lot of Older's meals!

£15 for the kitkats :eek:

I've been busy so not posting much. Still not cooking either, have decided I quite like snacking, much quicker and little washing up so I may carry on over the summer.

Picked more broad beans, mint and garlic so will have that on sourdough tomorrow.

Mostly still eating falafels, houmous, pitta, bean salads, fruit and the odd slice of carrot cake - quite a bit of shopping in WF - especially their new spicy/sweet bean/sweetcorn/pearl barley/quinoa (?) salad.
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Older_But_Not_Wiser Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2014 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Evening all :)

Kirri and Ms NR, the reason my meals look familiar is that I am shamelessly copying you! Every time I see a photo on here I want to eat that food too, I'm completely suggestible. Can't quite manage the baking that MrsF does as yet, but am progressing nicely with the easier things :)

Curry for supper again tonight, but at least my pudding is colourful so here's a picture to brighten the board - berries, cherries and nectarine with greek yoghurt and honey *licks lips and drools*:

[IMG][/img]IMG_0762_zps3a2423e0.jpg

You might remember that I mentioned losing a chunk of weight a while ago, the downside of which is that none of my clothes fit anymore so this morning I decided it was too hot for few clothes that I have left, and went to Pr*mark to buy some cheap and cheerful sleeveless numbers. Came home and changed into new dress immediately then headed off out again. I've been all over the place today, shopping, doctors, met a friend for coffee and NO ONE told me that my dress had a big round sticker on the front, right on the bust, advertising the £5 price tag! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback