PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    Evening all and hello to lovely new people on this thread :)

Lunch and supper today are exactly the same as yesterday so I won't put up more photos. I'm finishing the last of the roasted veggies and sausages tonight which is a bit of a relief as I'll be able to move on to something else tomorrow. Planning to have a go at the Impossible Pie recipe that MrsF gave us a while back.

It is amazing how easy it is to accidentally stockpile food isn't it so I think it is really good practice to do a sort of cupboard 'audit' occasionally. Mind you, I've got some stuff in my cupboards that is YEARS past its sell by date but I'm still using it (my balsamic vinegar is practically an antique now but since they charge more for 'aged' balsamic vinegar I can't see why I should throw it out just because BBE was 2008 :rotfl:)

Good luck all with your cupboard/freezer emptying!
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Options
    just going to have some flavoured water I made, pineapple and mint, its really good.

MsNR, I keep forgetting to ask, but how do you make flavoured water? Do you just add fruit and some mint leaves and then drain it or do you have to use flavouring syrups?
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Older_But_Not_Wiser Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2014 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Sorry to be board-hogging, especially as I don't have anything interesting to post just salad, salad and more salad...

[IMG][/img]IMG_0766_zps264de758.jpg

But as I've been so good with the salad & low cal stuff, obviously I DESERVE to eat all the free chocolate that the lovely supermarket gave me. Just three bars left now and I'm about to eat one of them :D
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0769_zps33e9fb8e.jpg
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    The Apple crumble sounds lovely older, let me know how it is.

I make the pineapple and mint by chopping up some pineapple or the core as you cant eat it, chuck some mint in and bruise it, top with water and leave for half an hour, whala, ive got lemon and mint in the fridge now.

Picked up 1kg of free range beef mince, I will be making a cottage pie topped with carrot and potato mash tonight, should be about 4 portions. 500g of mince will go in the freezer.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ohhh ^ organic chocolate, I'm going to have to stick a bar of Montezuma's to try on my next order now I've been tempted! I've got free deliveries at the moment so was thinking of putting an order in this week - I've been adding organic things on offer as they came up so it's cheaper to get it delivered than have the hassle of going shopping.

and keep posting the salad pics, I like seeing them! (so neatly presented too!).

I cooked again, sort of, broadbeans, garlic & mint off the allotment - on sourdough. I'm running out of WF sourdough, I need another visit. Followed it with a slice of cashew butter on sourdough. Have run out of all fruit.. almost out of pitta and out of most salad (apart from stuff I bought for the pets). Also used up the tomatoes and potatoes from the veg box and did a batch of patatas bravas. Now digging up own potatoes so no buying them for a while. I've not got anything to go with the patatas bravas so not quite sure what dinner will be other than that... unless I do a grain salad with feta but that doesn't really go...

Re your balsamic, I find it hard to use up condiments/spices - unless they lose the taste I tend to just keep using them... I'm much better organised at using up all my grains/pulses etc now since I joined this thread though! I make sure I use all of them regularly now :D
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    edited 9 July 2014 at 10:51PM
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ I've got free delivery too for a few more weeks Kirri, so I've been stocking up on all the heavy stuff like cat food, laundry liquid and compost so that when the free delivery ends I can reduce the number of on-line shops I need to do (cheap? me? Nooooo :rotfl:) Your broad bean and garlic mix on sour dough sounds delish, but I only ever see broad beans in freezer packets and of course I have no freezer to store them in :(

Thanks for the flavoured water instructions MsNR, what a great idea. I'll give that one a go too.

Was going to make Impossible Pie this evening but realised I don't have any milk, so I had a shop-bought ready meal of liver, bacon and mash which was pretty awful, but at least it provides the iron/B12 although I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have taken an iron tablet instead!

Have made a berry crumble this evening as the strawberries and raspberries were starting to go soggy. Yum.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0771_zps1e1677f5.jpg

Still no MrsF, hope she is OK
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tend to do the same with Ocado, all the heavy stuff especially. I've run out of dishwasher tablets tonight too so I really need to have a delivery asap, can't face washing up by hand!

I've never tried a frozen broad bean.. I hadn't eaten a broad bean till I had the allotment even. They are just still in season in the pods still though ideally want to get them small, I bet the supermarkets (even if they sell them) only have horrible large ones. They are good in a dip with lots of diced shallot.

^ I used to love liver, bacon & mash :eek: pre veggie days obviously. I find that thought quite gross now!

Dinner tonight ended up as a portion of the patatas bravas with a pitta with houmous, green pepper and onion tops.. I'm still mostly eating pitta for lunch and most dinners.. I have a jar of vegan pesto, feta and some frozen tofu but apart from that it's just grains and pulses.
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Bulgur wheat= Boil in chicken stock for 15 minutes or fry some vermicelli for a mon, add the bulgur wheat and boil.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    edited 10 July 2014 at 6:10PM
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm eating leftovers of crackers & boiled eggs for lunch and cold roasted vegetables with anything else I can find, probably cheese, later this evening followed by the berry crumble. It has been a busy day and there has been no time even to prep a salad, never mind cook anything (people in and out fixing front garden wall and back garden fence panels, generally creating chaos by stomping on the little baby plants I've lovingly tended for the last fortnight). Good thing that I have plenty of leftovers I suppose :)

Still munching my chocolate stash but saving the apple crumble one until last. So far the lime and chilli flavour is the best, but obviously it will take a lifetime of research before I can give a definitive answer on what is the best chocolate. It's hard work, but someone has to do it...:D

Thanks for the advice on bulgar wheat MsNR, I reckon that would be lovely with a bit of shredded chicken and some sweetcorn mixed through it too.

Kirri, you have a dishwasher, what luxury! Wish I had one too then I might be inclined to cook things that involve more than one pan (probably not though!). Realise I sound a bit weird now as I've got no freezer, no dishwasher, no food processor, no functioning grill....oh dear, I promise I'm not some sort of luddite, just never seemed to miss these things enough to want to spend money on them. Put me in the electronics dept of John Lewis though and I'll be very happy to explain why I NEED all these gadgets!
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Yes Older that does sound quite nice!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts