How to fall in love with saving money

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well, I have done two MSE things today to pare my expenses back. I had a very cheap broadband/line rental connection with Plusnet but they have started charging me more, I guess because I was on a cheap rate for a year, so have switched to TalkTalk, paying £2.50 per month direct debit via my Santander 123 account, so should get cashback for that. I also rang my mobile provider to question some weird charges I couldn't understand and have resolved those. Of course if I was really on the ball the weird charges would never have happened to start with but at least I've stopped them now.

Terrible weather - all I feel like doing is curling up by the stove and warming my toes. :(
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone is doing there bit. Making small savings here and there soon add up. Has anyone else heard the adverts on radio advising people to save £3 a day and in a year you will have £1000. That really shows how "just" buying that sandwich or latte can prove really expensive.

Not had the best of weeks as has to have car repairs which cost me £180!! Plus an expensive phone bill from my trip to New York. Should still be on course to have put away about £600 this month so not all bad.

Keep up the good work guys

Sorry to hear about your car expenses. But at least you had the money there to pay for it :)
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Well, I have done two MSE things today to pare my expenses back. I had a very cheap broadband/line rental connection with Plusnet but they have started charging me more, I guess because I was on a cheap rate for a year, so have switched to TalkTalk, paying £2.50 per month direct debit via my Santander 123 account, so should get cashback for that. I also rang my mobile provider to question some weird charges I couldn't understand and have resolved those. Of course if I was really on the ball the weird charges would never have happened to start with but at least I've stopped them now.

Terrible weather - all I feel like doing is curling up by the stove and warming my toes. :(

I REALLY need to sort out my phone and broadband. I have been meaning to do it for ages.
    I currently pay £13.31 for BB (Talk Talk) and £24 for phone (BT).
    They are both Unlimited Anytime plans, but I want to get away from TT for my BB as they aren't very good here. I am looking for an Unlimited Anytime plan for both calls and BB for less than £37.31 p/m (inc. line rental). I need to shop around!
  • cathybird
    Options
    WantToBeSE, I used the info on MSE in the Utilities/Phones section - incredibly useful. :)
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Hi cathybird and wanttobese,

Yes I have always felt secure with a bit of money behind me. Some people find security in spending but I have always preferred having the readies in the bank!

Not to say I don't enjoy myself but never been a big spender. In fact the bulk of my costs are the car. Its not on finance but it seems every month I am paying out if its not repairs it the insurance the tax, roadside assistance the mot! Cars really are just a money pit. That's before I have filled the tank up.

That said I couldn't imagine life without the freedom of a car. I can go anywhere anytime I want. Plus when you live in a big city like I do (Birmingham) any attempt at using public transport feels like you are taking your life in your own hands.

Have a great weekend all

LLH
  • cathybird
    Options
    Hi cathybird and wanttobese,

Yes I have always felt secure with a bit of money behind me. Some people find security in spending but I have always preferred having the readies in the bank!

Not to say I don't enjoy myself but never been a big spender. In fact the bulk of my costs are the car. Its not on finance but it seems every month I am paying out if its not repairs it the insurance the tax, roadside assistance the mot! Cars really are just a money pit. That's before I have filled the tank up.

That said I couldn't imagine life without the freedom of a car. I can go anywhere anytime I want. Plus when you live in a big city like I do (Birmingham) any attempt at using public transport feels like you are taking your life in your own hands.

Have a great weekend all

LLH

Birmingham, ha ha :) Didn't think the public transport was that bad there the times I've used it, but then I don't live there. :) Cars are useful and I'd be reluctant to give mine up - it's pretty cheap to run (comparitively) and I do use it.

Interestingly, re readies in the bank, I'm now finding that tucking my cash away in a savings account means it feels "out of sight out of mind" and I don't mentally consider it as money there for the spending - in fact I'm feeling quite cash-strapped this month, just because I don't have much in my current account, and am adjusting my behaviour accordingly. Just goes to show. It's something I should have done a long time ago.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok Cathy it is the 15th, how have you soent 0 for food etc this month. Went to Tesco yesterday and dropped just over 100 quid lol (for 4 peeps and a dog currently, going down to 3 next week). that includes the weekly alcohol budget too ;)

But not my weekly dip into M&S where i picked up the Valentines meal for 20 quid, which will actually make 2 meals as using the starter as another meal ;) Used the chocs as my OH's Valentines gift, even more MSE.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you enjoyed your dinner Atush.

I've had a couple of the 'dine in for £10' meals but I've found that it's such a teeny main meal portion. I need to buy extras to bulk it out! Maybe we just need to rethink our portion sizes haha

The £3 per day sounds like a fairly simple way of saving £1k. How would people do it though? Transfer £90 on payday? Save it in a tin? My problem us, I don't often carry cash so saving physical money would be difficult. Equally taking an additional £90 hit beside my normal savings might be too much at once. Hmm...
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Interestingly, re readies in the bank, I'm now finding that tucking my cash away in a savings account means it feels "out of sight out of mind" and I don't mentally consider it as money there for the spending - in fact I'm feeling quite cash-strapped this month, just because I don't have much in my current account, and am adjusting my behaviour accordingly. Just goes to show. It's something I should have done a long time ago.

I am not quite at that stage yet I don't think..although I was panicking the other day about how I would afford Birthdays etc. D'oh! I know how, SAVE! I already have the start of great savings, and don't need to worry quite so much!
    atush wrote: »
    Ok Cathy it is the 15th, how have you soent 0 for food etc this month. Went to Tesco yesterday and dropped just over 100 quid lol (for 4 peeps and a dog currently, going down to 3 next week). that includes the weekly alcohol budget too ;)

But not my weekly dip into M&S where i picked up the Valentines meal for 20 quid, which will actually make 2 meals as using the starter as another meal ;) Used the chocs as my OH's Valentines gift, even more MSE.

How much is the weekly alcohol budget, atush? ;) My £7 bottle of wine went out the window this week, too poorly to drink, but did sneak a cheeky pear cider :)
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    The £3 per day sounds like a fairly simple way of saving £1k. How would people do it though? Transfer £90 on payday? Save it in a tin? My problem us, I don't often carry cash so saving physical money would be difficult. Equally taking an additional £90 hit beside my normal savings might be too much at once. Hmm...

You could just transfer it daily into your savings account? I do normally carry cash, as I pay for the weekly shop (unless done inline obviously) in cash. if I used a card I would just go mad and spend spend spend! Mind you, saying that, I often walk around the supermarkets thinking "I could make that cheaper at home", so maybe I don't realise quite how much my mind set is changing and has already changed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure