How to fall in love with saving money

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nope, act cool Cathy, and they'll never even realise :D
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,377 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ha ha, yes, you're right, I think we have them fooled!! *pulls hat down over face, pulls up coat collar, whistles casually, looks furtively round*
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2014 at 2:30AM
    Options
    No-one's complained yet about training diaries, or take-over-the-world diaries, so I think you're safe there :)

About getting three (or more) diaries on the front page at once, if someone makes a comment on each diary in a short period of time, as may easily happen when a diarist is giving encouragement to the other diarists, then those threads commented on will all move to the front page. Similarly, if someone comments on all the leaving HL threads, then the front page will be full of HL threads.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the HL threads need their own forum lol.

Oh and can we please put Bitcoins and the gold bugs together too?
  • cathybird
    edited 5 February 2014 at 12:06AM
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    No-one's complained yet about training diaries, or take-over-the-world diaries, so I think you're safe there :)

About getting three (or more) diaries on the front page at once, if someone makes a comment on each diary in a short period of time, as may easily happen when a diarist is giving encouragement to the other diarist, then those threads commented on will all move to the front page. Similarly, if someone comments on all the leaving HL threads, then the front page will be full of HL threads.

Thanks, Eco Miser :) Very sane point.
  • cathybird
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I think the HL threads need their own forum lol.

Oh and can we please put Bitcoins and the gold bugs together too?

In all honesty, atush, and I hope no one minds my saying this, I also find a good many people who post on the forum ask questions to which the answer is freely available if they just did a bit of a search on the website. :(
  • atush
    Options
    Very much so, esp the what should i do with 10-20K posts lol.

Anyway, back to basics.l who has saved money lately? I feel I have not, as I just booked the fam holiday, going away for the WE to Cannes for my anniversary end of the month, husband bday means he and son are going over tot he mainland to watch the footie in march (99 quid using flybe points) and various and sundry.

Good news is, nov trip flights will be paid for by avios.

My birthday is tomorrow, and I am being taken out to lunch sat by son and OH. All i have asked for (and was asked for more requests but decided I didn't need anything else) is 2 books on amazon, a top from M&S, and a tub of veal demi glace.
  • cathybird
    Options
    Very much so, esp the what should i do with 10-20K posts lol.

Anyway, back to basics.l who has saved money lately? I feel I have not, as I just booked the fam holiday, going away for the WE to Cannes for my anniversary end of the month, husband bday means he and son are going over tot he mainland to watch the footie in march (99 quid using flybe points) and various and sundry.

Good news is, nov trip flights will be paid for by avios.

My birthday is tomorrow, and I am being taken out to lunch sat by son and OH. All i have asked for (and was asked for more requests but decided I didn't need anything else) is 2 books on amazon, a top from M&S, and a tub of veal demi glace.

Happy birthday atush!! Never been to Cannes, though I love France. I'd wish you happy birthday tomorrow but I'm away myself for the next couple of days and not sure I'll be able to post where I am. If I can, I'll wish you happy birthday again. :)

I have kept steadily saving, small amounts though, and have started selling stuff via eBay and other places, I've certainly got a lot of stuff I could get rid of - I'll keep track of it in my signature - haven't updated that for a few days.

Enjoy tomorrow if I'm not about. Have a lovely couple of days, everyone. Be back soon! :)
  • atush
    Options
    When I first started amazon selling, i sold off all my books (mainly paperbacks) and earned a lot- like 300 quid the first year. But prices to do so have gone up, as have postage costs.

So I don't sell so much anymore as I can only sell the ones that will pay some profit (books that cost me 88p to send now cost nearly 1.50). By the time amazon takes their cut, and you pay for postage and packing, you could earn nil.

I now use any profits to buy more books lol, which saves money overall.
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By the time amazon takes their cut, and you pay for postage and packing, you could earn nil.
    Or you could take your books along to Oxfam where their sale will do a lot more good than boosting Amazon's untaxed profits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure