Using evaporated water from tumble dryer

Options

Comments

• goonarmy
    goonarmy Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    If you are lookind to avoid limescale in your bottle warmer get a britta filter or similar. I use one to fill my steam steriliser and have very little limescale. Use the water from the dryer for other things.
  • savingmummy
    Options
    ey143 wrote: »
    Wow that's extreme bathing / extreme watering.

I have a new build with a fixed water metre. Been here 5 yrs now and only had to use bath water 1 summer so far which was 2011 when we had a very hot spell and our water butt was bone dry.

Our garden is small too so doable :D
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    you need to stop listening to the ecotards about water running out.
    Basic science soon explains that water can not be destroyed, be it in vapour, ice or sea, there is the same amount as when dinosaurs roamed, bar what has been taken in to space.

Ha, at last, thank you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooo this has just given me the idea that I should be doing something with the water from my dehumidifier instead of throwing it down the sink, it collects a lot of water, I'm so daft not to think to do something with it, I think I'll put it in the cistern. Thanks for educating me!
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi this is very interesting..i do much the same with the water from my de-humdifier and tumble drier..quick question..the water is distilled correct..then do you think it maybe safe to use in a spray bottle for a homemade hair detangler..i have a recipe for it and need distilled water..trying to save money i would like to give it a go.
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Mrs_LT
    Mrs_LT Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a steam mop and use water from my de-humidifier to clean floors.
    My husband uses this water to fill windscreen washer reservoir in our and our friends’ cars.
    Also I give some to a friend who has a steam mop (but not de-humidifier).
    Must not forget to save two 2 l bottles of the water for summer, as we don’t use de-humidifier then.
  • joolsvern
    Options
    While ther eis nothing wrong with "feeling like you should reuse the water from a tumble dryer" I will point out that if you hung the same clothes outside to dry the water would simply evaporate into the atmosphere and return as rain somewhere in the world. Pouring it down the toilet/sink is no different really.

I will say that I reuse some of mine for the iron as it saves the cost of "ironing water" from the supermarket and the iron doesn't scale up like it would from tap water being in a hard (rock hard) water area.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    I use mine in our hot water bottles. We actually collect it in a big vase then use it over the next couple of days. Having said that we haven't had hot water bottles for a couple of weeks so its going down the drain, moving the cistern is too much hassle. We don't use the tumble dryer in the summer but if we did I'd use the water for watering plants.
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our tumble sits on top of washing machine in a tiny utility with no sink. When I put the next clothes load in I empty the tumble water on top of the clothes in the machine so less water is used on the first fill. If there was an easy way to get it there I would use it on the roses as soapy water sorts out green and black fly pretty well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • quailpower
    quailpower Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Birdiepie wrote: »
    I put mine in my mop bucket and use it to mop the floor with :rotfl:

I do this! It comes out nearly boiling from mine, so I just add a big drop of disinfectant and bleach!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure