Using evaporated water from tumble dryer

Options

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    OOOO I never thought to mop the floor or fill the iron!!

I water the plants with mine :D
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    OOOO I never thought to mop the floor or fill the iron!!

I water the plants with mine :D

Do your plants like slightly soapy water then? If you smell the water in your condensor drawer, it smells quite strongly of whatever detergent and conditioner you have used to wash the clothes.

For those who use it in their irons, Tefal have instructions on their steam generator iron manuals warning not to do this as it shortens the life of the iron considerably due to the impurities left in the water from the soap contaminants during the condensing process. Whatever small amount you are saving on your water meter, will probably be eaten up by the need to replace your iron more frequently.

Mopping the floor though would be fine.
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have often thought its such a waste....moping the floor is a good idea. so is the cistern(bit of a hassle). Trouble is it does smell of detergent/soap.

Its clean - I wonder if you could put it back in the washing m/c(unsure if it would sense/save water)

could sling the water in the dishwasher on a prewash cycle.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    Do your plants like slightly soapy water then? If you smell the water in your condensor drawer, it smells quite strongly of whatever detergent and conditioner you have used to wash the clothes.

I was told soapy water is great for treating pests and even black spot etc! My flowers/fruit/veg all seem just fine with me using my drier water... They also seem quite happy with bath water too!

I'd say if it doesn't kill them, might as well waste not want not!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not a silly question at all, i dont have a tumble drier now but when i did i emptied a HUGE amount which seemed such a waste!

Fill the iron
    flush toilet
    use in heater (its not doing any harm at all by warming a bottle)
    Plants - i use bath water in the summer when my water butt is empty and never had any issues from it!
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • ey143
    ey143 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Curious to know how you empty your bath water into your flower bed.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Watering cans and buckets - keeps you fit too :)

We are on a water metre and refuse to use a hose unlike our naighbours.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • ey143
    ey143 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow that's extreme bathing / extreme watering.

I'm planning on gutting out my new home which I understand will be metered by force as the previous owners had one installed on their larger property. Can't say I'll be as dedicated as you on emptying bath water (then again we only shower) but I will either buy one those underground water storage butts or am thinking about a bore hole but the cost of the latter is not cheap.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    ey143 wrote: »
    Curious to know how you empty your bath water into your flower bed.

I lived in a remote village in the early 1970s where most of the houses used bath water (as well as water butts) to water their gardens (and these were serious gardens, growing veg for the family). The standard practice was to use a piece of hose pipe - stick it out of the window to drain the bath.
    Fast forward to the 90s and a time of water rationing. I was living in a rather more "suburban" setting but had carried on the practice (to my neighbours' amusement) but I got reported to the water authority. I showed them how it worked and they said they wouldn't fine me, but asked me to stop as "hose pipes" were banned, however the water got into them.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to stop listening to the ecotards about water running out.
    Basic science soon explains that water can not be destroyed, be it in vapour, ice or sea, there is the same amount as when dinosaurs roamed, bar what has been taken in to space.
    Be happy...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport