We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

marks and spencer online shopping - receipts not confirming sizes, no right to cancel

Options
124»

Comments

• Skinnybee1
    Options
    Arrgh! M&S Online are a nightmare. It has just cost me £11.59 to return a coat to them. Why offer a service as easy online shopping but not allow you to take returns to a M&S shop, or arrange courier pick up or as most Online shops do pay postage or allow you to return to outlet. They will only pay for returns if the item is damaged or faulty. When I questioned M&S about this they suggested I take up the cost of postage with the Royal Mail!. They also suggested I ask Amazon about a refund of the postage cost. I did just that and Amazon (who were much more customer friendly) said it was a matter for M&S to deal with!!!!! If nothing else comes of this please let people know M&S Online should not be used unless you are prepared to pay for returns.
  • PlymouthMaid
    Options
    Have they changed their returns policy then as last year I was able to order online and return to the nearest store?
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2014 at 6:25PM
    Options
    I doubt it
    http://help.marksandspencer.com/support/returns-and-refunds/clothing-homeware

you can return to store (unless bought from the M&S Outlet)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Skinnybee1 wrote: »
    Arrgh! M&S Online are a nightmare. It has just cost me £11.59 to return a coat to them. Why offer a service as easy online shopping but not allow you to take returns to a M&S shop, or arrange courier pick up or as most Online shops do pay postage or allow you to return to outlet. They will only pay for returns if the item is damaged or faulty. When I questioned M&S about this they suggested I take up the cost of postage with the Royal Mail!. They also suggested I ask Amazon about a refund of the postage cost. I did just that and Amazon (who were much more customer friendly) said it was a matter for M&S to deal with!!!!! If nothing else comes of this please let people know M&S Online should not be used unless you are prepared to pay for returns.

I take it you bought from the outlet store? If so, their returns policy is detailed on the site. The main M&S site still offers free returns.
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    If you are cancelling under the Distance Selling Regulations then they have to arrange for it to be collected from your premises if you choose not to arrange that for yourself, but they can charge you the direct cost of doing that if the terms and conditions state this. They don't have to offer a free returns service if they don't want to.
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    I always return to store. Never had any issues whatsoever!

They even allowed me to return some pants (completely unused and with labels etc) a few MONTHS after ordering them. It was my fault for putting them safe when we were having work done. I only got a credit note of course but I was well chuffed! £30 worth.

I came across them and took them on the off chance fully expecting them to say no but they were excellent, scanned them and gave me the current price for them in the form of vouchers. Have never had any issues at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport