Old Womans Cat (s)

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 24 September 2013 at 9:32AM in Pets & pet care
We have (had) 2 cats - until this morning
A local old woman (who looks just like the "Simpsons" Cat lady - has a habit of feeding all the local strays - and then shutting them in to her house for extended periods of time - she puts food out in bowls and leaves it for days on end ....
We know that she does this because I have seen my cats in her house
This morning - I let our two out at 6am and haven't seen one of them all morning !!
Normally - he hangs around me like a lost puppy
So - I am assuming that the old woman has him
I know (hope) that she will release him soon - but this is just not on
Is there some law that prevents people from feeding "stray" cats with "god knows" what food - we try to feed ours with good quality food to prevent stomach problems (they do throw up occasionally (linked ?)
He returned at 4pm! !

Comments

• As far as I'm aware there is no law preventing people feeding any animal (how would you monitor that??).

All you could do is ask this woman to stop feeding your cats (or chase them away when they try to eat the food she puts out) and therefore stop encouraging your cats to go to her house. Just explain that they have health problems and they can only eat the food that you, as their owner, provide them.
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I know this might sound pedantic but please avoid using the term Witch in a derogatory way. Wicca is a religion and does not deserve such smears.

With regards to the odd cat-napper just go round and explain that you don't want her to keep your cats inside her house.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Witch? Is the name calling really necessary?
  • We had a lovely elderly lady as a near neighbour.She would put food out for cats in her garden.Also sometimes go out often late at night with a bag of catfood and entice any cat she came across and take them home.
    She believed she was doing a good thing by feeding and taking care of strays,unfortunately this was not always the case.
    We tried unsuccessfully to get social services to visit as it was getting a problem and no one really knew how many cats were in the house.We realised that this was more a mental health issue and that she required support and help.
    Finally the police were called when someone tried to batter down her front door to retrieve their cat which she had allegedly been seen taking.
    RSPCA turned up and 26 cats and kittens were found in the house which was in rather a bad state and the masks they had to wear said something about the smell.
    The point is that sometimes people think they are doing the right thing.The lady in the OPs post is probably not being intentionally vindictive or cruel but has a misplaced sense that wandering cats need to be cared for.
    Before confronting her please use a little compassion because loneliness and a caring nature may sometimes take someone in slightly the wrong direction.
  • 50Twuncle
    Person_one wrote: »
    Witch? Is the name calling really necessary?

Who would have thought that one little word could cause so many complaints
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Who would have thought that one little word could cause so many complaints

Well you see, words have meanings.
  • zaxdog wrote: »
    I know this might sound pedantic but please avoid using the term Witch in a derogatory way. Wicca is a religion and does not deserve such smears..

Not all witches are Wiccans.

I agree with the sentiment, though.

OP why do you think a witch would steal cats???
  • 50Twuncle
    Not all witches are Wiccans.

I agree with the sentiment, though.

OP why do you think a witch would steal cats???

It was only a word! !
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I think your post is very unkind - 'witch lady'? if she has her own cats and 'visiting' cats I doubt if she does a roll call to see if only her own cats are shut in.
    if you don't want them visiting this 'cat lady' - then don't let them out.
    are her cats well cared for? if so, mind your own dam business!
    and if you don't want your cats eating her food - simple answer again is to keep them in!
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    It was only a word! !
    You used it as an insult!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills