VOIP, Discussion, questions and answers

Comments

• ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Which is the cheapest voip co. to use for pc to phone calls to Mexico and South Africa.?
    Also are there any companies where you don't have to pay an upfront fee even though they have free calls to certain destinations?

voipcheap etc only let you have a limited amount of free trial calls before they tell you to buy some credit even to free numbers, I've been playing with it this afternoon and a message came you have used up your free trial.
  • Two companies that are worth trying out

wengo.com and babble.net

pap2/fritzbox/sipura and asterix users can avoid downloading their software if you search the sites for the setup instructions.
  • ioscorpio
    Thanks, but call charges are more expensive than other voip companies and Phonecheap
  • I downloaded Skype a few months ago and had great success using it just pc to pc for free and able to track the internet at the same time, however recently it has slowed up my use of the internet to dead slow, stop!

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? using it on a laptop if that helps.

I know it's 8 months late - but I seem to recall that Skype defaults to setting itself up as a supernode (which basically means that other people can use you as a hopping point to making calls that they can't make directly). There's an option to disable that.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • I seem to recall that Skype defaults to setting itself up as a supernode . There's an option to disable that.
    Where? I couldn't find it in the options...
  • Oops - my error - I was misrecalling what I read.....

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/7AB67323D6305E49CC2570A1001698C0

For me that is a good a reason as any not to use a closed system like Skype, with it's astronomical SkypeOut rates.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • elanter
    elanter Posts: 28 Forumite
    I'm not too sure if I am on the right board but I wondered if anyone knew anything about Vonage. It is offering unlimited landline calls for 7.99 per month via a box that plugs into your modem. Wondered if it was worthwhile.

https://www.vonage.co.uk
  • ioscorpio
    Yahoo pc-pc
    I've just started using it with a USB handset, my daughter has the same phone. We keep turning down the volumes, but we are not getting a very good reception. Does anyone else have any problems with Messenger?
  • ioscorpio
    Primus Telecommunications now do a pc-phone service

http://www.iprimus.net/softphone/jsp/softphone/overview.jsp
  • nowtsquared
    nowtsquared Posts: 73 Forumite
    Low volume users may like to look at vbuzzer, call quality is very good.

Those with some spare time might want to look at Voxalot, a sister outfit to the SIP Broker team. They have some nice features inc how to use your GPRS allowance to make intl calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure