We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

being dismissed for poor performance

Options

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Southend1 wrote: »
    And what are the long term effects of working while sick? I suspect it's not very good for you!

In most cases such as minor infections etc, I doubt it makes any long term difference. Sitting at home watching daytime telly cannot be good for anyone.
  • ILW
    Options
    No they often go into work, spread germs to still get paid while not being as efficient as usual.

Sounds like you have little grasp of illness.
    I am in effect self employed. Have taken a total of three days of sick in the last five years.
  • happenstance
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    I am in effect self employed. Have taken a total of three days of sick in the last five years.
    You don't even respect everyone as an individual.
  • ILW
    Options
    You don't even respect everyone as an individual.
    I find wimps and whingers annoying, if that is what you mean.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I can trump that... I work in the public sector and have had 2.5 days in 5 years :P
  • ILW
    Options
    Southend1 wrote: »
    I can trump that... I work in the public sector and have had 2.5 days in 5 years :P
    Surprised you havent been disciplined for making the others look bad.
  • happenstance
    Options
    goonarmy wrote: »
    Walk in. Shout profanities. Slam fist on one edge of desk. One swift clean movement from one edge to other clearing all contents of desk to surrounding floor.

This is decidedly bad as a career move but i reckon it'll make you feel loads better. And it'll look super badass.

Ha not really my style to loose my temper.

It would be a shame if on that day I accidentally swung my golf umbrella and knocked that glass trophy over. Sadly will wait till the ink is dry on my new contract first.
  • happenstance
    Options
    I find wimps and whingers annoying, if that is what you mean.
    You lack empathy and compassion is what I mean.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surprised you havent been disciplined for making the others look bad.

Actually we don't have a high rate of sickness absence as an organisation. When I worked in the private sector I had more sickness absence- this was due to accidents at work (poor health and safety) and exhaustion (long hours)
  • Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options
    Not really.
    An employer is not your mother.
    The question is, why did you get sick from working long hours, but many of your colleagues did not?

It all depends on the contract of employment. If the employer has promised to pay certain sickness benefits and then uses valid and certified sickness absence as a performance issue then the OP has considerable grounds for legal action on grounds of unfair dismissal.

What if you have a heart attack and need to take 6 months off, then you get dismissed because your employer doesn't want to pay you any more sick pay even if you are contractually entitled to it? Is that fair to you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport