Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Options

Comments

• Hal0
    Hal0 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a great quote via MSE and partner price comparison site which gave Greenstar Unlimited Tariff 12M 1509. Had to reinsert details into Greenstars own site and was told that tariff was not available in my area - could very easily have missed this and gone through with their selected offering which . . . .was more expensive! Hey . .it was available in my area!

My assessment - suck you in timewasters!
  • Hopefool
    Options
    I also sought out Green Star for the savings looked really good.

However, after completing their questions, the unlimited tariff is not available in the west of Scotland and so the saving from other tariffs drop down the pecking order. Pity, it was a great deal.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 September 2015 at 2:27PM
    Options
    The unlimited tariff is not unlimited
    have a standard consumption between 10500 and 16500 kWh for gas and between 2200 and 4200 kWh for electricity.
    so CEC is not displaying the correct info as it stated my high use daughter could save £571 whereas she is not eligible for the tariff.
  • nofish44
    Options
    Having done a check on the Cheaper Energy Club got an amazing result with Green Star Unlimited tariff 12M 1509, clicked through to get a quote and surprise surprise not available in our area, we are in Hastings East Sussex, not exactly out of the way! and then promptly offers us a tariff not nearly half as good. Looking at this thread we are not alone in this and it looks like they use the cheap tariff to lure you in then try to get you to sign up to something else. Best avoided if you ask me.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure it is not that your use does not fit the profile quoted in my post above rather than not being available in your area. CEC still quotes a price even though you may not be eligible for the tariff.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Options
    p1ggers wrote: »
    Well, spoke to someone at Green Star and they confirmed that the standing charge they quote is correct, so that 30.61p for gas and 33.68 for electricity. They had no idea how/why MSE would quote 21.294 and 24.370 respectively, yet these figures are still shown on the cheap energy club site. Any ideas anyone? If Green Star is correct, I don't want the switch to continue as the charges are 40% higher than I was quoted!!!

Hi P1ggers

I'm sorry - we don't always spot the questions about Cheap Energy Club on the forum, so if you do have a specific query, you're best to email us at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com.

Something doesn't sound quite right here - if you could email us the details (and also a scan of your letter/email from Green Star) we'd be happy to look into this further.

Thanks
  • enion
    enion Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    The charges quoted on the cheap energy club site are indeed wrong - I signed up for 'Green Star Energy Rate Saver 12 Month Fixed 3509 Paperless' yesterday and my freshly created account is now showing the following standing charges:

GAS
    32.20 p/Day (Cheap Energy Club's website: 22.890p per day)

ELECTRICITY
    34.61 p/Day (Cheap Energy Club's website: 25.294p per day)

I reported this to Cheap Energy Club's email - this seems to me like a case of misselling - we're quoted one thing and getting a completely different deal!!

On the bright side, at least the unit prices match ;)
  • enion
    enion Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2015 at 9:32AM
    Options
    MSE Dan just replied to my email (at lightning speed - thanks Dan! :)) saying:

"It seems that the rates which you've quoting are the standing charges if you don't pay by direct debit. However if you pay by direct debit, the standing charges are discounted in line with the figures shown on Cheap Energy Club."

As my account only got created, this very well might be the case.

Also, their 'submit meter reading' link is currently throwing a 404 page not found error - hopefully only because they haven't actually switched me yet.

Edited to add:
    A quick update - I just received an email from them confirming my direct debit and the standing charges are correct there. Yay!!
  • klennox91
    Options
    40 days after closing my account, I am still waiting for GreenStar Energy to give me back my account credit- a large amount due to them not being able to estimate my annual use!
    I have chased every two weeks for my payment and each time am told a different story.

NEVER use them, it is horrendous customer service and they cannot stick to their promise of '7-10day' payments.

*Angry ex-customer*
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 October 2015 at 4:53PM
    Options
    p1ggers wrote: »
    Well, spoke to someone at Green Star and they confirmed that the standing charge they quote is correct, so that 30.61p for gas and 33.68 for electricity. They had no idea how/why MSE would quote 21.294 and 24.370 respectively, yet these figures are still shown on the cheap energy club site. Any ideas anyone? If Green Star is correct, I don't want the switch to continue as the charges are 40% higher than I was quoted!!!

P1ggers, I've recently moved to Green Star and my standing charges are .2457 for electricity and .2184 for gas. (Edit: that's 24.57p and 21.84p of course.)
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport