Speeding fine letter spelled my name wrong.

Options
polomints
polomints Posts: 233 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 11 September 2013 at 10:53PM in Motoring
I got a speeding fine addressed to an "Alesander .. ... " rather than my correct though esoteric spelling of "Alexanda", shall I just return the letter to sender with "not know at this address" and see if they bother to continue to chase it up. Also I got done for doing 36 in a 30 zone after turning left here http://goo.gl/maps/aKIij where there is no posted speed limit sigh despite the road being a 40 zone further up and further down. What's worse is where the road is 40 it's residential on both side unlike their arbitrary 30 zone where it's only residential on the one side.

Funny how they don't put the speed camera van outside a school, although if they put outside this school http://goo.gl/maps/OUDJF you'd have to be doing about 66mph to get a ticket because that road is NSP.:T If you look further up that road there's kids walking along it.

Comments

• Bongles
    Bongles Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    polomints wrote: »
    I got a speeding fine addressed to an "Alesander .. ... " rather than my correct though esoteric spelling of "Alexanda", shall I just retern the letter to sender with "not know at this address" and see if they bother to continue to chase it up.

You could do that I suppose. I wouldn't. One possibility is that you never hear anything about it again. At the other end of the spectrum, perhaps you might find yourself having to explain to a magistrate why you felt that a minor spelling mistake in what is clearly meant to be your name was sufficient to decide that the letter was, in fact, meant for somebody else entirely.

How lucky do you feel?
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2013 at 2:22PM
    Options
    I got a speeding fine addressed to an "Alesander .. ... " rather than my correct...
    This course of action may see you end up in court defending a "failing to furnish" charge, 6 points and v. large fine if found guilty. Since you clearly know the NIP was for you, trying to argue this in court isn't likely to be viewed with any sympathy from the bench.

I recommend you post this to pepipoo.com for further advice.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're also clutching at straws with the question of limit signs. The road you're emerging from is clearly a 30 limit, as is the one you're joining. Regular street lights and no repeaters for a higher limit always means 30 limit.

But of course, you knew that anyway having studied and remembered the Highway Code when learning to drive.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a speeding fine addressed to an "Alesander .. ... " rather than my correct though esoteric spelling of "Alexanda", shall I just retern the letter to sender with "not know at this address" and see if they bother to continue to chase it up.

Please do this one
    But you must promise to come back and tell us how 'sticking it to the man' turned out for you. Promise?
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, that spelling mistale in your name is so terrible that you should "retern" the letter to the sender. :D
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    the OP obviously remembers, and understood, what they were taught by their instructor......?

Hmmmmm!
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • GAZ237
    GAZ237 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    The miss-spelling is of no hope to you.

If you fail to send it back naming yourself (if you was the driver) you will be looking at 6 points and £500+ fine.

Also increased insurance for the next 5 years.

For the speed you have done, you may be offered a speed awareness course (if you have not done one in the last 3 years) Which will cost around £85 and no points.

Just fill it in asap and return it.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    i didnt work out well for a ex works colleague who did as you think of doing.

they spelt his last name welliams instead of williams, the court papers came with the correct spelling on it though.

magistrate wrapped with £520 fine and costs and 3 points
    and gave him a bollocking about wasting court time failure to furnish and something about try to evade a fine (attempt to pervert?).
    the mag told that it was clear to see they attempted to contact him about the speeding offence, just because i letter altered the pronouciation(sp) doesnt mean commons sense suggested that it wasnt meant for him.

it was spelt welliams because thats what was on the v5c, his error for not checking the v5c when he purchased the car when the new v5 arrived.
  • portly1
    portly1 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    As a matter of interest, when you send it back and give the correct details - name and address etc, how would DVLA add the points to a licence if that licence had never been updated since the 80's with an address that they hadn't lived at since 95 and since then 7 more addresses? Would the DVLA be able to trace the licence from the updated info if all they had was old info?

Just interested as my old green paper licence was issued in 1978 with no updating ever been made to it - yes I know it is illegal, but I never get round to it.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They would go off the V5 document for the car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts