ASDA Mobile Ditches Vodafone for EE

Options

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »

* and by the way, if you want to order a new EE-based SIM card, do it online. This saves having to send (and pay for) a series of about five texts, each of which asks you for one piece of necessary information...

Why would anyone want to stay with asda on the EE network after asda have shat on their customers?

Get a free SIM from White Mobile here

White have better rates than asda on the same UK's biggest 3G EE network with free voicemail, free White to White UK calls and texts and competitive international rates.

Asda mobile is just another rubbish rate supermarket PAYG mobile offering like Sainsbury mobile!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 October 2013 at 11:37AM
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to stay with asda on the EE network after asda have shat on their customers?
    Err, possibly because their call and text rates are so low for the very-occasional user, and for those who won't be using any internet/email/data via the phone? Furthermore the credit you put on the phone never expires (apart from if you never use the phone!).
  • cashbag
    cashbag Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly what I was about to say John!

Plus I can buy a £5 top up voucher in cash when I'm shopping or use a linked swipe card at the till. No need to register online for top ups, no need to give out personal details like card numbers etc.

Simples!

My phone sends & receives calls & texts. I don't use voicemail, access the internet or know anyone on White anyway. Horses for courses! Any old supermarket would have done me - I joined ASDA cos I bought the phone there (£9.99) & a SIM for 50p to get started.

Some people cannot live without a phone - I don't criticise their choices! Leave us low users to our preferences. I keep one for emergencies/occasional convenience - as said quite some time back it seemed the best thing to do with the demise of (working) public payphones.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cashbag wrote: »
    Exactly what I was about to say John!

Plus I can buy a £5 top up voucher in cash when I'm shopping or use a linked swipe card at the till. No need to register online for top ups, no need to give out personal details like card numbers etc.

Simples!

My phone sends & receives calls & texts. I don't use voicemail, access the internet or know anyone on White anyway. Horses for courses! Any old supermarket would have done me - I joined ASDA cos I bought the phone there (£9.99) & a SIM for 50p to get started.

Some people cannot live without a phone - I don't criticise their choices! Leave us low users to our preferences. I keep one for emergencies/occasional convenience - as said quite some time back it seemed the best thing to do with the demise of (working) public payphones.

Top ups as low as £2 are available from thousands of stores with no personal details required on White and the credit would last longer.

Sorry I thought that this was a money saving site and I simply can't see why anyone would be inconvenienced by asda mobile when better rates are available elsewhere.

Even a low user Luddite can save money!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's been no mention of having to copy all your Contacts from the old 'Vodafone' SIM card to the new piggy-backed 'EE' SIM card* (when they eventually get delivered).
    Modern phones (at least most in the last ten years or so) store contacts in the phone, not on the SIM card. Even with phones that can do both, it's usually better to store contacts in the phone because you can synchronise more easily with other sources and you can store multiple numbers (e.g. home, work, mobile) per contact.
  • NFH
    Options
    Furthermore the credit you put on the phone never expires (apart from if you never use the phone!).
    I was puzzled why you pointed this out because nearly all UK networks likewise maintain validity for 6 months from the last chargeable event, the main exception being Lycamobile which is 90 days in all countries in which it operates. However, I've just seen that White Mobile is only 60 days - hardly suitable for the many infrequent users who are customers of ASDA Mobile as well as being out of line with industry practice in the UK.
  • John_Gray
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    Modern phones (at least most in the last ten years or so) store contacts in the phone, not on the SIM card. Even with phones that can do both, it's usually better to store contacts in the phone because you can synchronise more easily with other sources and you can store multiple numbers (e.g. home, work, mobile) per contact.
    Yes, I realise that storage of contacts on the SIM card is more limiting, but even if you store contacts in the phone there's still the problem of transferring them to a new phone.

This problem does not seem to be well addressed.
  • NFH
    Options
    Yes, I realise that storage of contacts on the SIM card is more limiting, but even if you store contacts in the phone there's still the problem of transferring them to a new phone.
    Transferring to a new phone is not the issue in this scenario of replacing the SIM card. Transferring contacts to a new phone involves simply synchronising with a PC, which is where one's contacts should be routinely backed up anyway.
  • John_Gray
    Options
    I don't disagree - but synchronising to a PC isn't always available (none of the cheapo phones I've ever had allowed/allows this - no USB connector, for example).
  • cashbag
    cashbag Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    espresso - there is money saving & money saving! How much have you spent on mobile phone use in the past 12 months? Was it all absolutely essential? I have used less than £5 since May 2012 on a phone which cost £9.99 in May 2009! Now THAT is what I call money saving!! If a call costs 10p & you make 10 calls in a year you spend £1. If a call costs 2p & you make 100 calls in a year you spend £2. Who is money-saving? I don't drive uneccessary miles looking for the cheapest petrol, so I won't make unecessary calls just because they are individually the cheapest on the market.

My service requires that I make one call or send one text every six months. Just occasionally I have to do this because I have made no otherwise chargeable call in the time. But usually have sent at least one friend a "Happy Birthday" text so as said does not happen often.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure