This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Actually, rather than write to your council, write an email to your MP and ask them for their view (you could copy and paste your anecdotal posts on here!) - their office will share it with the CEO for your Council - I bet some improved guidance results...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats a fab idea Suffolk lass - though I suspect my local MP is rather tired of hearing from me and I doubt her office does anything with my letters.
    Last year I think it was when the regular fireworks bill came up I wrote and asked her views and to participate setting out my reasons (complete with research and full facts) and I got a standard response saying she was delighted we had fireworks legislation. It was so at odds with what I had written that I wrote back saying whilst she may be delighted with the current legislation I was not for the following reasons and whilst I am happy to accept she may not agree with me I am less happy that her team does not read letters from those she hopes will vote for her properly :rotfl: The next reply told me that I could read her views on line and I should call the police if I was concerned about fireworks !!

I could try the borough council but a couple of years ago I did some lobbying about a local issue and was very successful but the chappie who is supposed to represent the ward kept patting me on the knee which was most offputting (I swiped him with the file eventually)

I think my revoluntionary youth is about to be revisited :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    It may not be worth it, but think I'd be writing and complaining to the council... If only to ensure that a better system gets put in place - what a weird and inaccurate way to go about things! And it's discrimination, as you say.

I might actually do this. I'm not bothered about the £4 (s) but the council tip run by an adjoining borough offers fanatastic service and has, on occassion, helped me unload. I would go there but it is futher - though given the money I end up paying I suppose I could just fund the petrol :)

I agree, I hope you were just awkward and asked for a receipt

with a lovely polite smile on your face :D
    Of course i did :D

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    Totally worn out today. And frayed out too. Off to give the horses their late night hay and bed.

Tomorrow is another day ... and I really will tackle something useful tomorrow :)

• Watty1
    Options
    Busy doing work. Also had a bit of a think as I'm shuffling papers for the company year end. I think I need to change the way I pay myself and actually allocate some money each month and make a budget rather than get to the end of the month and total up and then pay myself enough to clear my spending if I can. I had slipped into doing this during my absence from here and it is one of the reasons I got so muddled.

I also need to use my cc rather like a debit card - if I shop with it I need to transfer the money over to clear it at once which means changing the cc I use most of the time to the one that sits on the desk ...if I can find it.
    So the weekend plan is to deal with a bit more of the year end stuff and also sort out some kind of a budget so that I am less haphazard

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Those both sound good, Watty - I don't have "saving from income" any more, but that whole thing of "pay yourself first" is highly recommended. How will you do it, percentage of previous month, or flat amount, or what?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    edited 10 August 2019 at 5:39PM
    Options
    The plan is flat amount. And to use just one of the bank accounts rather than haphazardly spending from 3. I'm also going to only take out one credit card and view that more as a debit card. There are reasons I might use a cc rather than debit but, rather than waiting to pay off (in full :money:) at the end of the month I'll pay as a go. I have a cc from one of the bank accounts so I will use that cc and current account.

Another change will be to start using cash. I think I will be more mindful of what I am spending if I use cash rather than waving whatever card I pull out of my purse at the contactless point. Especially as I have now set myself a cash limit per week!

• Watty1
    Options
    In paying a bill I noticed something interesting. Mr Watty (aka the numpty) had a very good month last year. We have a joint account for bills but everything else has been split -but "his" account is still joint as he still hasn't signed that off ... unsuprisingly. However I digress ... I notice he had a very good month last month. So I will not be sending him my "bills" contribution untill he asks for it. I'm still very annoyed about how the finances distilled down. He was more than happy to have me pay off the mortgage early with money I was earning in the good years rather than put aside anything for myself. Now he has money in the bank, personal savings and all that jazz blah de blah he can whistle if he thinks I'm just dropping yet more money in his coffers! (I'm nice in real life honest:A)

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're also sensible! Good for you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cash is a great idea, used to use it all the time :p however last month as we all know, I didn't and just flashed the card, which I won't be doing again anytime soon.

The cash still disappears though and I think, where on earth has all that gone, but at least you are mindful of it vanishing.

I've got one of these 0% CC, I use now and again and every time I spend on it, I transfer the money to a separate bank account which gathers interest, not a lot, but every little helps, and the balance is there to pay off at the end of the 0% offer, or as the mood takes you. It's nice to think that it's there if needed, and could be replenished before due date in around 18 months time.

Not sure, if I got this right, but aka mr numpty (I actually like this name, am I weird?) has a bank account with your name on it . . . so you could empty it and flee the country . . . oh, sorry, I'm dreaming, again ;):D

Good news your getting sorted, I always feel great once paperwork/bills/etc have all been dealt with :j
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure