This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If any of you want to try some of mine - let me know (PM with address) and I will post you a try-out - if it is nice I might use some of the Christmas bags I usually use for fudge/shortbread/mince pies for soaps this year as gifts. I took the rash step of buying an industrial sized (for me) bottle of eucalyptus oil for my next batch (assumes this won't flay your skin :eek:)

I am still keen for greent's endorsement, given her greater expertise as I am a complete novice - I just find it rather satisfying and want to do some more (but want to know it is safe and good).
    I really want to take you up on that, but I need to make myself wait until I can pay attention to it properly - its useless to put somebody else to trouble by lining up another project without any idea when I can get to it. So I'll bear this in mind, thank you so much!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Suffolk Lass .... yes please :) I've watched and as this has been on my I'd like to try for a long time I think 2019 is the year I will do it :)

Will pop a PM over to you.

My MSE news today is to return some stuff bought on line. I don't need more clothes I need to save some money :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    Parcels returned.

Pension info gathered. Lets start with the easier bit.
    State forecast says I need to contribute another 3 years in order to get the maximum I can of £168.60 a week.
    I was contracted out for a time so that will be it. For time I was contracted out I was paying into a pension but I was paying in very little (something like £5 a week). I really didn't understand what I was doing back then - however - over the last few years I have been paying into that pension pot (I did take some advice and switch it to another provider) and so I do have a personal pension. That pot stands at a little over £250,000.
    So I know "the number" or the amount I forecast I would need to live on per year and I know how much is in the pots.
    Think I now need to read up on what I do next .............

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Watty, those are already great figures for the pension, congratulations!
  • Watty1
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Watty, those are already great figures for the pension, congratulations!

Thanks. I'm not sure they add up to 'enough' now there is only me, 3 horses and a 'once feral' cat to consider moving forwards but I'll play with some figures and what comes up for me.

And moneysaving abounds - the cleaning team turned up while I was out riding so that was a saving because if they don't turn up when booked I don't have to pay. Daft thing is if they had rung I could have just come back - but - the actual cleaners don't have my number only the agency.

And the farrier turned up today and all 3 horses do not have shoes and only 2 needed a trim so another saving!
    Neither were intentional savings but most welcome all the same!

• Karmacat
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm not sure they add up to 'enough' now there is only me, 3 horses and a 'once feral' cat to consider moving forwards but I'll play with some figures and what comes up for me.
    Well, you're getting there. I added up my figures (on my thread, publicly, yikes) and it comes to less than that - though admittedly I own my house, and I haven't included my French apartment because second hand apartments don't often sell in French tourism areas.... three horses are a lot :) but you're obviously loving it. I like it :)
  • Watty1
    Options
    The three horses are expensive I admit .....in fact for the first time I added up exactly how much and was shocked. I always had denied this when Mr Watty (aka the numpty) asked.

I'm basing my assumptions on somehow buying this house and then when I am old and too infirm to have horses I will sell the house and then downsize so I think it will work out. I will need to keep working at this pace for the next couple of years which is going to be essential to build a safety net and to buy this house.

So I've sorted my accounts and have an idea of my future.
    Short term goal is to save as much/earn as much as possible for immediate upcoming changes.

• Karmacat
    Options
    Watty, can I just say something awful, but which is in your interest? If you're going to be buying out your other half, then maybe hold off on some of the bigger improvements to the house? Do them after it's your sole property? I'm perfectly willing to delete this post ....
  • Watty1
    Options
    I like your thinking KC. Mr Watty (aka the numpty) does not know what name I post under and I think he might find it hard to figure out without a lot of time reading on here so all posts safe :)

I am willing to pay half of all works that need doing but that will not affect the saleability or value of the property. So repairing fencing and gateposts and the like is maintance that needs doing and might as well be done and I will pay half.

But I would not do work that substantially had an impact on the property's value!

• Karmacat
    Options
    We're of like mind, I'm glad to hear it :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure