This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am interested in starting to make my own soaps, shower gels etc but have no idea where to start. Maybe we should have a sideline MFW thread for it :D
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ajmoney wrote: »
    I am interested in starting to make my own soaps, shower gels etc but have no idea where to start. Maybe we should have a sideline MFW thread for it :D
    Love this idea. Soap making has always looked quite complicated when I've looked into it - but - doable i think. A couple of years ago someone gave me a tub of bath salts, it was a large sea salt and it smelt wonderful and even had the odd petal in - very obviously handmade and I wanted to buy it by the bucketful but never did ask where it came from. It would be the perfect replacement for bubble bath as it seemed to be salt and essential oils I think
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Love this idea. Soap making has always looked quite complicated when I've looked into it - but - doable i think. A couple of years ago someone gave me a tub of bath salts, it was a large sea salt and it smelt wonderful and even had the odd petal in - very obviously handmade and I wanted to buy it by the bucketful but never did ask where it came from. It would be the perfect replacement for bubble bath as it seemed to be salt and essential oils I think
    I am going to look into it now as I am very bored.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love it too - you see so many recipes online, I don't know who to trust and who not, and it sounds pretty unpleasant if you get it wrong. Will see if the thread's started :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have just made my first batch of soap - 3 weeks ago.

If you want I can post the "recipe" - I used a silicon patty "tin" on a baking tray for the main ones and lined a small loaf tin with cling film for the leftovers - 23 small bars of soap - 12 in the patty tin and 11 more after slicing the lump in the tin and bevelling the edges with a potato peeler.

They need to cure for 4 weeks minimum so I cannot vouch for them for another week and a bit.

I watched several you tube videos and then found a recipe I could make as everything can be weighed on my scales. Really simple, I added peppermint and Tea Tree essential oils for perfume. It smells great. Let us hope it doesn't burn my hands when I try it :eek:

I did this before I realised we incinerate all the plastic waste that can't be recycled!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Suffolk lass I would love the recipe, thank you. I have a friend who does this and after messaging her yesterday she has sent me a lot of stuff on interest, I just need to make sense of it now so I can pass the info on.
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now I dont know much about making soap but I do think the osteopath sounds brilliant and just what you need to get your body ready to get stronger. How very symbolic!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't want to put you to too much trouble, SL, but if you like the result, please post the recipe, or the link where you found it, yes :) that would be lovely.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I used to have a business (complete with chemist certifications for my products) making soaps, salts, melts, bath bombs etc :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    I used to have a business (complete with chemist certifications for my products) making soaps, salts, melts, bath bombs etc :)

Now .... we have you captive :) Prepare for the questions :)

Definately interested ... and thinking ahead I could maybe make my own christmas gifts this year (dont you love my optomistic outlook here, I've not yet made a thing but have a firm belief when I do it will be wonderful enough to gift :rotfl:)

I'm definately coming back to this one
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback