This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Betterthanever
    Options
    Oh how I wish I had something really constructive to say! I'm infuriated for you, but that doesn't really help much, does it!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I caustically said I gave up doing gifts when the boys turned 18 as we had never had a thank you note. But brother said it might be a bit embarrassing if we did not swap. Frankly I thought I would survive .... but... will now add shopping to my increasing list of "things to do"
    Argh! About 5 years ago, my auntie (my mum's sister) told my mum that she'd be stopping giving me a present (I was always in their town over Christmas). Absolutely fair enough - it's only a stocking filler, but she was very elderly, and I was then in my 50s, so why not? But a couple of years after that, she felt sorry for me being so ill, and told my mum that she'd be buying me a Christmas present again. My mum told me, so that I could then buy her a present.

Ahem. I was incensed! I'm not going to work like that! I don't mind in the least telling/agreeing to stop gifting like that, but starting again? No! I told my mum straight away, and I stuck to it as well. My mum obviously hadn't told her sister, so I got a present from my aunt (an alarm clock that we knew was a freebie at a local store), and made an "oh so sorry, I didn't get anything" thing as best I could, and the hint was taken.

/end rant.
    I guess most readers of this diary will realise that (a) infuriates me and (b) is totally pointless :rotfl:
    Yep :D They're not acting like good people, I'm sorry to say.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just a thought - could you buy pots of hyacinths, wrap 'em in a bit of cellophane and ribbon? They're £2 for a pot of 3 onthe street market near work, so I'm taking dh along and stocking up tomorrow. He'll carry them all home while I go on to work.

Or they were £3 I think in sainz.

Or aldee has something similar.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    I am hopping mad on your behalf. Be prepared for the presents they bring to be rubbish. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow, they really know how to take the urine, don't they? So cross for you Watty!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Another one cross on your behalf here:mad: Only saving grace seems to be its in a pub, so you are not expected to cook/ clean up. Hopefully you're not expected to/ Mr Watty doesn't feel obliged/ guilted to pick up the tab...?

Take comfort in kitten - does she sit by you at all yet?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Gosh I'm mad Watty. I would stick to my guns and not buy them presents, don't let his behaviours cause you more stress. Will be thinking of you xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2017 at 5:02PM
    Options
    I love you lot. You have really cheered me up. The hyacinths idea is fabulous ...thanks...but I have actually bought nice gifts because I could see it was stressing Mr Watty and I didn't want to make him worse.
    SSS has a good point about their gifts being rubbish .... I have no expectations on that front but I have been very nice and bought cute little guest towels for one of them, a room smelly thing for another and a cheese baker for another. My favourite is the cheese baker because it is a totally random gift and who the heck needs a dish for baking cheese in anyway :rotfl:

I amused myself whilst mucking out this morning thinking of all the things I could say. And resolved that if they are awful I am totally prepared to get a taxi home from pub if I don't take my car, but preferably will drive at least some in my car so I can simply walk away and leave them there.
    And if they are as awful as I expect they can take Mr Watty and the dog away with them .... and kitten and I will have a glass of sparkly stuff.
    So nice gifts bought. But my intention is to be vaguely charming unless provoked in which case full Jack Russell attack and then leave :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    greent wrote: »

Take comfort in kitten - does she sit by you at all yet?
    x

She does actually. She sometimes lays on the desk next to me and goes to sleep, has been caught snoozing on the end of the bed and the other morning she woke me by experimenting with the idea of snuggling up to a human. She doesn't want much in the way of stroking or petting but she is very happy to be around. In the evening she sits on the sofa watching telly or on the back of the sofa near me.
    She really is adorable.
    Oh and if the dog is out she runs to meet me when I come in which is so cute. She really has made it from feral to pet I think and I adore her.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    I must add because I know it will amuse some of you that I bought the gifts in a little shop near where I had a business meeting or coffee and gossip girls session depending on your point of view. The gifts were inexpensive (although very expensive compared with the hyacinth idea) and I really really really wanted to buy a candle that was called "monkey farts" candle. But I was persuaded not to by one of the girls .....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback