Scuba Shifts North and Debt.

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It'll be at least that in rush hour - although the train will take longer door to door as I plan to walk to the station as long as it's not raining and thats a mile or so from the house, but as it's going away from Manchester it shouldn't be too crowded.

I've also looked at the nearest train stations to where I'll be working, if for whatever reason I didn't have my car the train is a viable short term option as long as I can take my bike with me (the nearest station is 2.5 miles from the shop) it just isn't a long term plan as it's very expensive thanks to being in the next 'zone' - annoyingly by one stop and the next stop up in the other zone has no car parking.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    It'll be at least that in rush hour - although the train will take longer door to door as I plan to walk to the station as long as it's not raining and thats a mile or so from the house, but as it's going away from Manchester it shouldn't be too crowded.

You'd think everybody would be wanting to head in that direction... ;)
    I've also looked at the nearest train stations to where I'll be working, if for whatever reason I didn't have my car the train is a viable short term option as long as I can take my bike with me (the nearest station is 2.5 miles from the shop) it just isn't a long term plan as it's very expensive thanks to being in the next 'zone' - annoyingly by one stop and the next stop up in the other zone has no car parking.

Well £27 pw isn't really that bad and you can cut down on it a bit more with a longer-term season ticket. In a car, assuming depreciation/milage/etc of 50p per mile that would be 54 miles worth.

Have you looked at buses to/from the relevant stations?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2014 at 8:32PM
    Options
    The £27 is just to the town I'll be training in. Weekly to the station nearest work would be £32, or up to £1308 annually. So not my first choice although if driving was more of a pain than I anticipate I'd cope.

All of which is on the assumption that I stay living at Dad's house.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    The £27 is just to the town I'll be training in. Weekly to the station nearest work would be £32, or up to £1308 annually. So not my first choice although if driving was more of a pain than I anticipate I'd cope.

All of which is on the assumption that I stay living at Dad's house.

Yes, so you do your sums for moving out or staying taking the above into account (assuming you train it) or you record carefully your petrol consumption and assume certain costs per mile if you decide to car it.

It also depends how much living with your dad costs you in peace of mind... ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    edited 16 July 2014 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Peace of mind/alcohol with my mum....

Am currently thinking the fourth bottle of wine (between three) may have been a less than genius idea.

One of my mums colleagues at the school is ex army, he knows a few of the people I do, and some of his instructors from my old work place are people I was friends with. My poor mother may have a better idea of how some of my friends really behave than I'd ever told her previously.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As a side thought if I could move to within walking distance of the next station along, and they always stop it on request (its a request stop and you literally have to wave it down) an annual rail card would cost £980 - which is an insane price difference for less than 4 miles on the track (albeit its 9 by road). But if I decide I need to move out of Dad's house I'll be moving closer to work anyway.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Am currently thinking the fourth bottle of wine (between three) may have been a less than genius idea.

:rotfl:

It was probably a little late to come to that realisation.
    One of my mums colleagues at the school is ex army, he knows a few of the people I do, and some of his instructors from my old work place are people I was friends with. My poor mother may have a better idea of how some of my friends really behave than I'd ever told her previously.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

See...trying to fool poor mum... ;)
    As a side thought if I could move to within walking distance of the next station along, and they always stop it on request (its a request stop and you literally have to wave it down) an annual rail card would cost £980 - which is an insane price difference for less than 4 miles on the track (albeit its 9 by road). But if I decide I need to move out of Dad's house I'll be moving closer to work anyway.

Yes, if you're going to move, move as close to work as possible/financially viable (this is assuming renting). If you want to come back and visit friends, you'll be staying at parents' houses anyway, so it makes little difference.

And to be fair - it is only 45 minutes away. That's not far at all.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Today has been a good day.

Amazon have had a sale on their Kindle range so I ordered a Fire HDX 64GB and cover which has cost me a whole 1p, the rest was paid for with gift vouchers.

Been to the post office to pick up my parcel, what girl doesn't like unwrapping jewellery - so I've a new coin for my Emozioni and a longer chain for it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Today has been a good day.

Which are the kinds of days you want.
    Amazon have had a sale on their Kindle range so I ordered a Fire HDX 64GB and cover which has cost me a whole 1p, the rest was paid for with gift vouchers.

You'll have to do a review on it. Recoup that penny... ;)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    True, I plan to use it to help me earn additional pennies though so it'll pay for itself many times over (at least in terms of that solitary penny of cash it cost me).

Been and retrieved my passport from my Mums house and photocopied it to get that sent over to the next employers tomorrow. Emailled back the form as well so Dad will be on the look out for the official offer letter next week as that'll have the details of my training hours etc.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills