Channel 4 9pm

Options

Comments

• 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Not wanting to add fuel to someones already well fuelled fire.

I have a mental health condition. Have done for many years but have only just got to a point where it's impacting severely on my life. I KNOW how to use a bus. I do not need to be taught, I'm actually rather intelligent despite my affliction of the brain. Can count change and everything.

However, at the moment I am signed off sick because just going to the supermarket puts me into a near full on panic attack. At the moment public transport would just be silly, having a full blown panic attack whilst on a tube would be no fun for me, other commuters or TFL staff.

There are others with far worse mental health issues than me for whom using PT would just be downright dangerous, for them and other users.

Working from home is the ideal situation in those cases but there just isn't that much of it about. I think I have managed to get myself some part-time work from home and should I not be in a position to return to my current job and my degree in the near future, I shall look for work within walking distance of home.

I WANT to work, a lot of people with mental health conditions do too but it can be very difficult to find something that doesn't lead to a lot of absenteeism. Something I hadn't even appreciated until falling into a deep dark pit a couple of months ago.

Anyway, in summary, mental health conditions don't mean we're too stupid to make use of public transport but it could mean it's dangerous for us to.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2013 at 11:31PM
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    Let's all face it shall we and cut to the chase? There are many 16 to 24 year olds who won't work due to knowing they will get minimum wage of £6 an hour, they have no qualifications and prefer to believe they're going to be the next winner of The X-Factor or Britain's (not) Got Talent!!

Yes indeed there are many many disillusioned people around. :D

NMW of £6 ph only starts at 21, it's lower for younger people. (Just a point of information.)
  • skintmacflint
    skintmacflint Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Options
    No one has ever said there won't be a number of people for whom by any sort of work /voluntary hours would be impossible.

Then there's the other category who despite their illness or disability could do something if they put their mind to it. but choose not to.

If I was of working age and in this condition probably couldn't work a 40 hour week.But I'd still be able to be a Board member of a local charity for disadvantaged kids and do the admin /accounts etc for an adult disabled group. It only takes a couple of hours of my free time.

Sometimes if my OH is doing a shift , I go in too and help with anything from organising prize pool or Xbox or quiz competitions or just help to keep the peace. Kids sometimes get unruly in alrge numbers. Every little helps.

Many people with fluctuating conditions and illnesses on ESA could do much the same but choose not to. Like Karen who preferred to invent reasons to justify why she can't lift a multi coloured taloned finger. As she'd worked in the dim and distant past she felt she was fully entitled to live the rest of her life all expenses paid with no ****ing questions asked thank you very much.

All it takes is asking around your local area or community to see if anyone needs some occasional help here and there, and working it out from there.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nannytone I just don't understand your rationale behind not using a long cane. I see hundreds of VI people and have only met 2 who have absolutely no vision at all. Most VI people have some vision, the whole point in long cane training is to teach you to integrate your remaining vision with what the cane is telling you.

Also the way you know what number is on the bus is you ask the driver! If you have problems learning routes/are on a new route/want to be certain you are where you want to be you can also ask the driver to shout when he is at the stop you want.

Also as ive said before most VI people have normal looking eyes, I don't see how that's an impediment to you?
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    NMW of £6 ph only starts at 21, it's lower for younger people. (Just a point of information.)

Even less chance of these disillusioned kids wanting to get a job then poppet.!!:D
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    Even less chance of these disillusioned kids wanting to get a job then poppet.!!:D

Wanting to get a job and needing to is not the same thing, sweetie!
  • disabled_NCIS_fan
    Options
    I really don't usually reply to threads like this but hey ho I will take the plunge. I have complex physical needs and right now part time use a wheelchair, I am having physio to try and put off the day I need it full time. This all happened one day without reason at the age of 15, I am now 22. If I didn't do anything I would go crazy. So I am doing my degree through the open university. I always wanted to get my BSc and thought why should my body stop me when my mind is reasonably ok, discounting various issues and memory loss lol. But for me I have a goal. I hate that the fact I get ESA somehow makes me a scrounger. I sleep a lot, I am in pain a lot but not once have I asked for an extension on assignments so far fingers crossed. I know not everyone can do this, I feel very lucky I have the chance to do this. I live at home with family and I am so lucky my mum cares for me, again not everyone is lucky.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    Disabled_ncis_fan - you are not a scrounger, you are an example of what is right about the system.
  • Troutwrestler
    Troutwrestler Posts: 350 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2013 at 11:34AM
    Options
    Have just watched it on catchup. My daughter and I get DLA I doubt I would get anything. Most certainly it wouldnt be the amounts we get now......was certainly an eye opener
    Its all mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter:rotfl:
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    No one has ever said there won't be a number of people for whom by any sort of work /voluntary hours would be impossible.

Then there's the other category who despite their illness or disability could do something if they put their mind to it. but choose not to.

If I was of working age and in this condition probably couldn't work a 40 hour week.But I'd still be able to be a Board member of a local charity for disadvantaged kids and do the admin /accounts etc for an adult disabled group. It only takes a couple of hours of my free time.

Sometimes if my OH is doing a shift , I go in too and help with anything from organising prize pool or Xbox or quiz competitions or just help to keep the peace. Kids sometimes get unruly in alrge numbers. Every little helps.

Many people with fluctuating conditions and illnesses on ESA could do much the same but choose not to. Like Karen who preferred to invent reasons to justify why she can't lift a multi coloured taloned finger. As she'd worked in the dim and distant past she felt she was fully entitled to live the rest of her life all expenses paid with no ****ing questions asked thank you very much.

All it takes is asking around your local area or community to see if anyone needs some occasional help here and there, and working it out from there.

Hear, hear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport