Grandcat having extended 'sleepover'!

Options

Comments

• scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    Meritaten, it's quite heart breaking really. I've had Blackie the longest, 10 yrs I think. This time last year I had a relatively peaceful brood who lived together fairly harmoniously. Mum says Blackie is settling down at her house and crying less (I think old age is creeping in to be honest, do cats suffer from Altzeimers?) Scrappy's fur is beginning to grow back again and the 2 gingers left with me seem happy enough.

Glad Barnes' fur is growing back nicely :)

my old Sugar cat developed feline dementia at about 20 yrs old. itcan start from 15 yo.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    yes his missus - my son asked his vet this because he was concerned about his first cat Felix. and the vet said they can develop it in the same way humans do. I do hope he settles, sometimes just a quieter environment helps or the company of their favourite feline.

(btw - Felix was ALWAYS as mad as a hatter - I dunno why Atrix thought Alzhiemers?)
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meritaten I love this thread! I log on every night to see what Barnes is up to,mouseyuppastairs, killing PAH mouse and pingponguppastairs made my laugh, fab names for his games:rotfl: ever thought about writing a book?we cat ladies would love it.
  • meritaten
    Options
    Please everyone, call me 'Meri', Meritaten is such a pain to type!

Barnes is eating like a starving navvy! he demanded breakfast at 6.00am! to be fair, he knew it was GS day, but what he didn't know was GS wasn't coming until 8.00! and GS didn't arrive until 8.25! his dad slept late as he is ill...........um, so why not take him straight to school later? jeez, men don't think do they? GS hadn't had breakfast, hadn't had a wash and brushed his teeth, so it was a bit of a scramble this morning to get out for the bus on time. still, we made it.
    got back, and yes, Barnes was doing his 'kitchen windowsill NOT watching for me bit'! lol

he wanted lunch at 12.00 sharp! ok, no probs, now what would his lordship like? he stared intently at the PAH specially selected pouches - ok! he ate all that. Groom and treats at 1.00 and he settles down for a nice long nap.............then hears the gas engineer arriving to service the boiler..........he has to come greet of course. Glad I aint paying the guy by the minute - he spent ages admiring and talking to Barnes.
    then Barnes wanted more groom and treats! I know when he wants this as he sits on the rug where he gets groomed and yowls at me. much to the heating guys bemusement - apparently he thought cats went mee-ow! rofl I think it put him off getting a Purrrsian!
    I never thought I would see him ask to get groomed - he was purring quietly while I was grooming him too - so he got the full works! still not keen on his tummy being done and paws are a NO-NO! but hey, for a cat who absolutely hated being groomed six months ago, I think we have made great strides!
    he was ready for his evening meal at 6.00pm and that's all gone now too! so relieved his appetite is not only back, but better than its ever been.
    he is watching tv with OH now - full tummy and he seems contented. on his pile of cushions!
  • meritaten
    edited 4 April 2014 at 9:01PM
    Options
    thanks geminilady! I will press the thanks button when yours actually appears!
    I am a Gemini too! June birthday!

thanks for letting me know you like the thread - Barnes daily activities seem to fascinate a lot of people!
    Write a book? um, people have asked me to blog in the past and tbh, this thread is about as disciplined as I get! I couldn't - unless I just downloaded the whole thread and let an editor loose on it! but, I cant see a publisher being interested anyway. but, thanks for the thought!

and now the summer is coming Barnes is making up his own games - today we had 'catch the fly and play with/torment it for ten minutes'. the other day it was 'catch that bumblebee - and get really annoyed when Meri rescues it and lets it go'!
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will keep an eye on him.

My two gingers are eating a lot at the moment - just meat though as they seem to have gone off biscuits at the moment.

I started a blog when we got Harley...I think I managed 3 posts! It was a way to keep dad in touch with him but then when dad got ill it seemed bit pointless :(

You do well, meri, to post on here daily. I bet you didn't think you'd end up with such a long thread when you asked for advice on which toys to buy Barnes.
  • meritaten
    Options
    um no his missus - I never dreamed anyone else would be interested! it was originally to ask about toys yes, then Atrix said he read it, to see how Barney was doing...........and it slowly dawned on me that it was getting a heck of a lot of 'views'. that people were enjoying reading Barnes diary with me as his 'amanuensis'.
    I really love it when people post about their pets, If a whole page goes by and nobody has posted, I have to check the views to reassure myself that people are still interested. and the occasional new poster who takes the time just to post to say they enjoy it - keeps me going.
    I am mostly on here anyway - and Barnes is a bit of a character, so I usually have something to tell you all.
    so today - Barnes asked for his groom and treats and lunch an hour early - I think he hasn't heard about 'clocks forward', but, it doesn't make much difference to me so he got what he wanted.

his fur is coming along nicely, and its been raining so he hasn't asked to go outside - I really feel mean when its nice outside and I wont take him out - because he always seems to get bitten - it may not even be fleas bite him outside - we seem to have lots of ants and they do bite! as I am allergic to insect bites too - we have a lot in common me and Barnes - I know how maddeningly itchy it can be and you can feel you have been bitten all over, when its only a couple of bites really. so poor Barnes is going to have to stay inside until the weather is reliable enough to set up the patio furniture and he can sit on a chair! That's what we did last summer and he was quite content to curl up on 'his' chair.
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tikka came in yest with 2 fleas on her. I'm beginning to think she just encourages them because she knows she'll get a flea tablet in tuna - it's all cunning plan to be fed tuna!

Went to visit the other two at mum's yesterday. Mum said Blackie's settled into his old routine there. They'll both be annoyed next weekend as they're back here with the dog whilst mum goes on holiday. Will be interesting to see how they all settle here.
  • meritaten
    Options
    rofl - Tikka loves tuna that much? Barnes has cottoned on to the feed two or three dreamies then slip him a flea tablet ploy, he spits it straight out now. so I have to hide them in his treat stick!
    post later with his update!
  • meritaten
    Options
    he had a lovely day with his human 'sisters'. he watches them intently. if he thinks its time for a cuddle or strokes he goes up and lets them know! K did his groom and treats today. I suspect he slept with them last night - he didn't sleep with me .............and there was cat fur on the duvet, and the pillows on their bed!
    he is still eating for Wales! but he has left a third of tonights meal for 'ron'. coat is improving, but his claws need trimming - I absolutely HATE doing them! for a start you have to find them! amid all that fur, and OH has to hold him still (which he isn't good at), then make sure you aren't going into the 'quick'. not easy, and Barnes HATES it too. So he struggles to get away and.........we all get stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but right now, Barnes is watching TV with OH! predictable yeah?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure