Crafty Shampoo Trick

Comments

• kidtechnical
    kidtechnical Posts: 123 Forumite
    Eliza252 wrote:
    yep those anti-bacteria cleaning ads REALLY annoy me - my mums an infection control nurse and she says that 90% of it is in the actual wiping/washing action rather than the product. and dont even get me started on those ads for products that claim to kill viruses - I dont even know why they are allowed to broadcast them! - nb. you cant kill viruses as they are not really alive anyway (complicated bits of protein). Those adverts are desinged to induce cleaning paranoia!

Oh I so agree with that! I met an infection control nurse at a hospital who is completely against anti bacterial handwashes & things. She said the handwashes kill a lot of the good flora on the skin as well as the bacteria they're designed to kill & it's much better to just wash your hands properly with soap & water, you're much more likely to get dry skin & cracks etc that is an open wound for all sorts of other nasties.

And of course you can't kill virus', my bug bear is when they call all nasties 'germs'. I was taught at school their's no such thing as 'germs'!

I also feel that a lot of the 'anti bacterial' products make people a bit lazy, were they'd have spend 5 mins cleaning something they only spend 3 cos they rekon the 'product' will do the work for them, but of course good products are no better at getting into nooks & crannies & corners etc... you know where you are with good ol' elbow grease!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    on the discussion of the anti-bacterial soaps, work the situation through and you'll realise why hospitals and kitchens have taps that you turn on with your elbow....

you go to the toilet
    you clean yourself
    you turn the tap on.....
    you squidge the soap or put it in your hands.....
    you wash them
    you turn the tap off......
    you dry hands on towel.....
    you open open door to leave.....

now you know where the bacteria is!!!!!

At uni we had to do bacterial swabs of ourselves....and grow it in petri dishes.....

the next lesson we had to do similar things with toilet roll......

it was a real eye-opener....you're all covered in them......

I prefer the idea of taps you don't have to touch
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    can you buy those sensor taps they have at airports and service stations?
    ummm...
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Eliza252 wrote:
    nb. you cant kill viruses as they are not really alive anyway (complicated bits of protein).

have a look at http://www.beyondbooks.com/lif72/2c.asp
    'Are Viruses Alive'

'
    Viruses must have a host cell to live and reproduce. Outside of the host cell, viruses are pieces of genetic molecules that can do nothing by themselves. Viruses are right on the border between living and nonliving. Some biologists currently see the virus as a nonliving infectious particle. Other biologists disagree and suggest they are alive because of what happens inside the host cell.'

And in any case - you can take 'kill viruses' to mean 'destroy/disable viruses'
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Back to shampoo - unfortunately I have such a sensitive scalp that after many years of trial and error(and lots of discomfort) I can only use Aveda. I have loads of freebie Original Source etc via mag subscription, but either leave it out for guests or will be using it as handwash.

Ketchup - I've bought a huge catering size and decant it into a Tesco squeezy bottle - just for convenience, it's only the kids that eat it.

Vodka - buy cheapo brands, filter it myself and decant into Smirnoff bottle :D
  • piazope
    piazope Posts: 25 Forumite
    I do the same with toilet bleach.. my wife believes its wonderful at removing the crXX.
  • karimi
    karimi Posts: 15 Forumite
    Believe me guys, cheap washing liquids are sometimes much better. At least for people who don’t like wearing washing gloves. These liquids are much diluted so they cause less harm to your skin. At least it works for my wife
  • coggie2k
    coggie2k Posts: 6 Forumite
    My OH swears coke tastes better from a glass bottle so I did a taste test & he could tell the diffference

I agree I can taste the difference between bottled coke and canned coke.

As for savings, we went over to own brand beans, Asda and Tesco a while ago and have not turned back, me being a bean snob was hesitant as they used to be dry beans and watery sauce.
    Same for Ketchup.
    Tesco and Asda cereals are mostly made by Nestle, not the value cheapo range, so we use them as they are pretty much the same (A mate works for Nestle and I have had factory tour to prove it)
    As this is a clenliness thread I have to add one about Tesco own toilet block, yellow hard rim block, lemon citrus type scent. Makes the whole bathroom smell really great, Kind of two savings in 1 :T
  • Years ago, when the first dish washer liquid turned up in the Coop (so it must have been around 1955 or so and it was called Ola), my uncle wrote to the Coop and told them that he had had to use it as a shampoo in an emergency and it worked very well; would they like an endorsement to that effect? They replied 'no thank you very much', that they knew it worked because they already bottled it with a different colour and perfume and called it shampoo! So nothing new there, then!
    Waddle you do eh?
  • lynneinjapan
    lynneinjapan Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Murtle wrote:
    you go to the toilet
    you clean yourself
    you turn the tap on.....
    you squidge the soap or put it in your hands.....
    you wash them
    you turn the tap off......
    you dry hands on towel.....
    you open open door to leave.....

now you know where the bacteria is!!!!!

I've got into the habit of giving the tap itself a quick wash before I turn it off. But of course that doesn't do anything to address the issue of bacteria on the door handle - not unless EVERYONE washes the tap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure