Crafty Shampoo Trick

Comments

• Knapster
    Knapster Posts: 1 Newbie
    When I lived at home, I clocked my mum putting an empty box of ALDI cornflakes in the bin, but every morning she was giving me Kellogg's cornflakes, when I quizzed her about it the next morning, she said she had been doing it for the last 4 months!!
  • thriftychick
    thriftychick Posts: 239 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have been putting Tescos Value Gin in my husbands Gordons Gin bottle for 6 years!! As long as I buy Schweppes tonic he cant tell the difference.
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    :wave: Welcome thriftychick
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mumof3girls
    mumof3girls Posts: 239 Forumite
    since working at ASDA i have found they do asda bourbon whiskey.it is stacked next to the jack daniels and jim beam. well it is only £8ish and when put into a jd bottle tastes the same, thust saving me a small fortune. he has it with coke though.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    I have been putting Tescos Value Gin in my husbands Gordons Gin bottle for 6 years!! As long as I buy Schweppes tonic he cant tell the difference.

Does he never wonder why he never has to open a new bottle?
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    antenna wrote:
    That's what happens when you buy a cheap dictionary

LOL I think Edinburghlass must have missed your comment.
  • yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    Another good trick is to buy large bottles of foam bath and pour the contents into old handwash dispensers - it's so much cheaper than buying actual handwash.
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • kidtechnical
    kidtechnical Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Buttercup wrote:
    I purchased a large bottle of Basics shampoo from Boots 25p and transferred it into an empty posh bottle of shampoo - teenage daughters comments this morning, Mum that shampoo is lovely please don't buy anymore cheap stuff!!!
    anyone tried any of the other Basics range?

I used to use Safeways cheap shampoo & conditioner, it smelled lovely & did the job and I figured it was probably the same as the dearer brands, but within 2 months I noticed that my hair was snapping & in a right state so I've never bought cheap stuff again because I don't think it stands up to brushing & blow drying if your hair is long. I only buy cheapy stuff if my hair is short or if it's for OH who has (precious little) short hair & doesn't need to worry about snapping!

I agree with other posters that the cheaper versions of everything else is USUALLY just as good. Though I remember my mum trying your trick with cheap cornflakes, she was convinced I was being fussy & there really wasn't any difference, but I nearly threw up, they tasted like cardboard & soaked up all the milk like sponges... however own brand cornflakes have come a long way since I was wee & my OH who used to swear by Kelloggs now claims that Asdas own brand is better!
  • kidtechnical

Thanks for that, I prefer Bombay Saphire but usually buy Gordons cos it's cheaper. I tried the own brand & we could definately tell the difference, but we use own brand tonic too, I think I'll try Schweppes next time & see if it makes it taste better... if we have own brand Gin in I usually take Bitter Lemon now because it masks the taste, I've kind of lost my taste for tonic as a result. Oh the sacrifices we have to make in the name of moneysaving ;)
  • kidtechnical
    lellie wrote:
    hehehe.. I'd suss you out..

My boyfriend moans as I say I don't like daddies sauce (only like heinz).. and so he blindfolded me and got me to taste the difference and I could tell straight away.. :p

Aside from the fact Daddies Sauce just sounds a bit obscene, I don't like it either, I think it tastes like it's been watered down with vinegar (and that's coming from someone who used to drink vinegar as a child LOL). My OH swears coke tastes better from a glass bottle so I did a taste test & he could tell the diffference, but admitted it was a close one & doesn't insist on glass bottles anymore!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure