MSE News: Switching broadband to be made easier under Ofcom plans

2

Replies

  • marykefmarykef Forumite
    6 Posts
    I changed from Plusnet to Talktalk BB last week. I had been impressed at how easy it was until I found I had been charged £30 cessation charge by Plusnet with no advance warning. This apparently is because a MAC key was not used by Talktalk. I have emailed both companies but will probably end up stuck in the middle as often happens in these situations.
    I'm just hoping that Talktalk have dealt properly with my former phone providers too (Newcall Telecom), since I have heard nothing from them at all regarding the end of our service.
  • Further to my post below, Talktalk deny they needed a MAC key because I am on an LLU exchange so the charge from Plusnet is nothing to do with them.
    Plusnet say they need to charge me because I was transferred from a BT exchange to a LLU exchange, however, they are looking into whether the charge should stand as I transferred my service rather than stopping it completely.
    The companies concerned naturally refuse to speak to each other leaving me having to speak to both separately with all the time being on hold that entails. Fortunately I have an 0800 number for Talktalk (thanks to 'saynoto0870.com') instead of the 0870 number provided by them.
  • Gordon_HoseGordon_Hose Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    samzy1981 wrote: »
    It's a huge estate of over 5000 houses, the company owns the fibre optic network so all landlines and Internet is through them or non existent. They say no other ISP's will use their network as it "isn't good financial sense", so I'm guessing they've set the line rental too high to allow competition.

    Their prices aren't competitive and the phone line crackles very badly at times. I'm shocked we aren't entitled to a choice.

    As all these new houses are being built in the countryside we have poor to no mobile reception at home, so landlines and broadband are essential. I'm guessing they know this and have set their prices accordingly.

    Out of interest, who are you with?
  • Am wondering whether to grin and bear the dreadful foulup Newcall Telecom (Primus Saver account )have made of my house move three months ago until this more straightforward switching service arrives? I have no emailed or posted contract to refer to, no direct debit set up in spite of repeated requests from me and an assurance from an adviser it would happen.Am really unhappy with their attitude. I hear current providers can be awkward if you reveal you intend leaving. Do I just bite the bullet, post back their modem with a cheque for their recent emailed bills, and a letter of thirty days' notice to quit - and possibly suffer a gap in broadband service while signing up better provider?
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marykef wrote: »
    I changed from Plusnet to Talktalk BB last week. I had been impressed at how easy it was until I found I had been charged £30 cessation charge by Plusnet with no advance warning. This apparently is because a MAC key was not used by Talktalk. I have emailed both companies but will probably end up stuck in the middle as often happens in these situations.
    I'm just hoping that Talktalk have dealt properly with my former phone providers too (Newcall Telecom), since I have heard nothing from them at all regarding the end of our service.
    marykef wrote: »
    Further to my post below, Talktalk deny they needed a MAC key because I am on an LLU exchange so the charge from Plusnet is nothing to do with them.
    Plusnet say they need to charge me because I was transferred from a BT exchange to a LLU exchange, however, they are looking into whether the charge should stand as I transferred my service rather than stopping it completely.
    The companies concerned naturally refuse to speak to each other leaving me having to speak to both separately with all the time being on hold that entails. Fortunately I have an 0800 number for Talktalk (thanks to 'saynoto0870.com') instead of the 0870 number provided by them.
    TalkTalk will only inform the owner of the line, BT Wholesale so you will need to inform any other service supplier.

    The 0870 number is free from a TalkTalk line.

    I agree that the cease charge should not apply as you migrated the line using a recognised process, the clue is in the name of the charge. Most of the ISPs try it on as it is an easy profit maker, £30 for doing SFA. https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/downloads/service_and_support/service_support_hub/online_pricing_hub/SPPL_Page/Section44_Part3_01-April-11_Asymmetric_v2.doc
    A cease charge will be raised under the following circumstances:
    · The Service Provider raises a cease order.
    · The Service Provider asks BT Wholesale to raise a cease order on their behalf.
    · Openreach issue an unsolicited cease because the PSTN service has been
    terminated.
    A cease charge will not be raised in the following circumstances:
    · The End User line has been migrated to another ADSL service provider using the
    published migration process.
    · The End User line has been migrated to an LLU operator (either SMPF or MPF)
    using the published migration process.

    · When End User service is migrated to another BT Wholesale ADSL service and /
    or to another Communications Provider (CP) where a MAC code is used.
    End User Cease Charge: £24.74 (exc VAT)
    Operative Date: 01-04-2010
  • marykefmarykef Forumite
    6 Posts
    Plusnet have checked whether the charge stands as my service was migrated rather than terminated, but they say it does. They are now threatening debt recovery if I don't pay up within 14 days and have not provided me with written confirmation of the reasons for the charge for me to forward to Talktalk, as I asked, only referred me to their T&Cs.
    Their T&Cs state that a MAC key is required (so I suppose I did not adhere to the 'published migration process') but Talktalk say they take care of everything and the customer has nothing to do - I even rang up to check this! IMO Talktalk messed up and they should pay the £30 and compensation for all the hassle. Are Ofcom going to help?:(
  • mugmamugma Forumite
    8 Posts
    marykef wrote: »
    Plusnet have checked whether the charge stands as my service was migrated rather than terminated, but they say it does. They are now threatening debt recovery if I don't pay up within 14 days and have not provided me with written confirmation of the reasons for the charge for me to forward to Talktalk, as I asked, only referred me to their T&Cs.
    Their T&Cs state that a MAC key is required (so I suppose I did not adhere to the 'published migration process') but Talktalk say they take care of everything and the customer has nothing to do - I even rang up to check this! IMO Talktalk messed up and they should pay the £30 and compensation for all the hassle. Are Ofcom going to help?:(

    Hi Mary,

    I would be interested in knowing how you got on.

    It would seem that Plusnet pull this scam off a lot, as I am going through the same thing that you are. Only instead of Talk Talk I migrated to Primus.

    I am getting very frustrated with plusnet.

    In my initial letter to request the MAC code I asked for details of any disconnection charges due upon leaving and in their response they mentioned nothing about a "cessation charge".

    After my new connection was up and running I checked my plusnet final bill and there it is - a cessation charge.

    I have been getting nowhere with Plusnet, they just won't see reason and insist that they can not do anything about it even though they are aware that I shouldn't have been charged it for a migration in this way. They haven't even apologised for the fact that this charge wasn't mentioned when I specifically requested details of the charges.

    I've gotten to the point where I have asked for a deadlock letter so that I can go to the ombudsman as this charge shouldn't have been applied and they have not been proactive in assisting me in resolving the situation.
  • boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    They cannot go through debt recovery if you have written proof you are in dispute with the company.
  • marykefmarykef Forumite
    6 Posts
    mugma wrote: »
    Hi Mary,

    I would be interested in knowing how you got on.

    It would seem that Plusnet pull this scam off a lot, as I am going through the same thing that you are. Only instead of Talk Talk I migrated to Primus.

    I am getting very frustrated with plusnet.

    In my initial letter to request the MAC code I asked for details of any disconnection charges due upon leaving and in their response they mentioned nothing about a "cessation charge".

    After my new connection was up and running I checked my plusnet final bill and there it is - a cessation charge.

    Sorry to hear of your difficulty with Plusnet. I forwarded my complaint about Talktalk to the ombudsman and am waiting to hear. Can't see how Plusnet can charge you when you asked in writing for a MAC key; did Primus actually use it? In Plusnet's T&Cs it states that they tell you what charges you may be liable for and give you a chance to avoid them but looks like that doesn't happen. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • mugmamugma Forumite
    8 Posts
    marykef wrote: »
    Can't see how Plusnet can charge you when you asked in writing for a MAC key; did Primus actually use it?

    No. I provided Primus with the MAC code but when I followed it up on the phone they told me that they didn't need the MAC as it was a migration to LLU.

    I questioned this with plus net immediately on the phone as I was concerned and plus net confirmed that it was the case that they didn't need the Mac code but this wouldn't result in extra charges if a migration was performed. Unfortunately this was a phone conversation so I don't have this to use on evidence against plus net.
    marykef wrote: »
    In Plusnet's T&Cs it states that they tell you what charges you may be liable for and give you a chance to avoid them but looks like that doesn't happen. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

    Please could you help me find that in the TandCs? Can't see it.

    Thanks for keeping us up to date :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides